Project raises city eyebrows

[media-credit name=’RAY PFEIFFER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Building_RP[/media-credit]With the ability to provide living arrangements for around 400 families, the Alexander Company's Capitol West project plans on reinventing the way Madisonians view downtown living.

Located on West Washington Avenue between Broom and Henry Streets, the condominium complex will include 15 town homes, a four-story loft, an 11-story condominium complex and multiple retail buildings on the lower level. The project will take up most of the city block.

Nic Alexander, public relations director for the company, said he believes the contemporary architecture and in-depth design aspects of the project will help to revolutionize Madison's building community.

"It keeps with the forward-thinking, progressive vision Madison is known for," Alexander said. "Instead of looking back, [the building community] should be looking forward."

The Alexander Company, which will handle development, architecture and construction for the project, demolished a majority of the buildings on the block. Alexander said 95 percent of the demolished materials were recycled.

Natalie Bock, one of The Alexander Company's project managers, said the buildings and the complex in general are meant to incorporate all aspects of downtown living.

"Our goal is to create a housing place where the downtown is integrated," Bock said. "This [downtown vision] includes the many retail stores, restaurants, entertainment venues, bars and even the farmers market located in the heart of Madison."

But the sudden increase in the number of high-rise buildings in the downtown area has some citizens concerned with the direction in which the city is moving.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said city zoning laws prevent high-rise buildings from emerging everywhere downtown. He added having tall buildings everywhere is not an ideal setup for a city like Madison.

"It's undeniable — [high rises] create a canyon-like atmosphere," Verveer said in a previous interview with The Badger Herald. "But there are positives, too."

Although some are displeased with the idea of another high-rise project, Alexander said there is a definite need for a variety of living arrangements downtown.

"A lot of the people who live in the suburbs are coming to the city because they don't want to have to deal with the maintenance," he said. "I think a lot of it is a nationwide trend of being able to create housing in denser downtown areas where before it was too expensive to do so."

While mainly attracting individuals in the 35-and-younger and the 55-and-older age brackets, Alexander said the affordable living arrangements the company offers is attractive for a variety of people.

"Really, it's appealing to multiple demographics," Alexander said. "You get a pretty mixed group of individuals who will be looking to buy the condominiums."

Bock estimates that phase one of the project, which includes the 23 Broom Street lofts, should be done in June 2007. All 173 condominium homes — including the high rise and the 15 town homes — should be completed by May 2008.