Bank robbery toll rises again

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]BankRobbery_BF[/media-credit]A national trend of increased robberies continued in Madison when a suspect robbed the Associated Bank on the 200 block of State Street Wednesday morning.

Though the suspect left the bank with an undisclosed amount of cash, the Madison Police Department said no one was harmed in the incident, and the suspect did not display or imply possession of a weapon. A release from the MPD described the suspect as a black male in his 40s, about 5 feet 8 inches tall with a thin build.

According to Mike Hanson, public information officer for MPD, the suspect entered the bank around 8:30 a.m. and demanded money from the teller. After he received the money, Hanson said he fled the scene on foot. The suspect remains at large.

Don Klein, a corporate spokesperson for Associated Bank, said robberies can occur anywhere around the city, even in an extremely public area with high pedestrian traffic.

"No matter how public something is, there always is a risk something like this could happen," Klein said. "We take every effort to ensure people are safe — not only our employees, but customers as well."

Klein also said Associated Bank employees receive extensive training to counteract any potential robberies, but he added the main priority is to keep workers safe. And he said most of the technology that banks use to prevent robberies and identify suspects is used "behind the scenes."

"We understand events like this happen," Klein added. "But we have a lot of technology to make sure everyone is safe."

In bank robbery cases, MPD Sgt. Sue Armagost said the physical evidence acquired by bank technology aids detectives in uncovering suspects more quickly than those in other cases.

Though MPD does not usually release the amount of money taken in bank robberies, Armagost said in most cases suspects are looking for quick funds, which are often tied to drug trade and trafficking.

"For banks, a lot of times we have more physical evidence because they have very good surveillance systems," she said. "We pour a large amount of money into tracking and finding robbery suspects."

But according to Mary Carbine, executive director of Madison's Central Business Improvement District, bank robberies have not only been increasing in downtown Madison, but across the country as well. The increase in "pattern crimes" this past summer, she added, created a heightened awareness of all crimes in the downtown area.

"I think the pattern series of [robberies] has attracted a lot of attention to things going on downtown that would have otherwise gone on under the radar," Carbine said.

Despite a recent increase in crime, Carbine said people should not be afraid to walk in the downtown area. She also said initiatives taken by the city, including the downtown safety plan and increased police funding, have added to Madison's safe atmosphere.

"Our downtown is safe during the day — we have neighborhood officers and beat patrol assigned specifically to the downtown area," Carbine added. "We want to continue to work closely with [MPD], the downtown merchants and student groups to … ensure we have a community standard."