Falk signs new county budget

Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk finalized the 2007 county budget last week and said at a press conference Tuesday it was expected to pass quickly through the County Board for approval.

The total 2007 budget for the county totals $450 million, and according to Falk, property tax will cover approximately $110 million in the budget.

"I'm very proud of this budget," Falk said. "I'm most particularly pleased that by the additional work we've done together over the last month, we were able to do some really innovative things."

She added the board will appreciate the "darn good" budget because it controls spending and addresses public safety concerns, environmental issues and human service needs. The biggest additions in spending, Falk said, include increased mental health services and more options for inmates suffering from mental illness or alcohol addictions.

Falk also said the proposed budget includes more than $1.5 million for the Land and Water Legacy Fund and $5 million for the New Conservation fund, which both aid in area land conservation and protection.

Because the board put in so many hours of work in committees, County Board Chair Scott McDonell said the budget will not meet much debate at the meeting scheduled for this afternoon.

"It is a fiscally responsible budget — it prioritizes public safety and clean water and tries to improve the lives of the people who struggle every day," he said. "I expect very quick passage tomorrow because we worked very closely together to try and reflect the values and the needs of the citizens of Dane County."

McDonell said the responsible budget allots money for combating violence over time and adds four new deputies to the police force.

Board member Paul Rusk said many of the health programs in the budget — including the programs to keep mental health patients out of jail and to reduce costly institutionalization — are crucial for the future of the county. More than $150,000 will be devoted to expanding current mental health facilities, and Falk introduced $28 million for a new Badger Prairie Health Care Center.

"The [mental health] programs are especially important because they pave the way for a mental health court in Dane County, which is a very high priority," Rusk said.

Though the budget is not likely to be controversial in Dane County as budgets are in other counties across Wisconsin, David Worzala, chair of the Health and Human Needs Committee said people should always look toward the future of health and safety.

"I look at this budget … and I think we've got a lot more work to do," he said. "This is a good budget, and it positions us well for the future."

Worzala also said it was important to examine the budget and make even more fiscally responsible decisions in years to come.

Ultimately, McDonell said the success of the 2007 budget is due to the cooperative and constructive efforts of all board members.

"I'm very proud," McDonell said. "I'm proud of the budget, and I'm proud of the cooperative relation we have with the county executive."