Police arrest 3 in State Street drug bust

[media-credit name=’JESS SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Police-Bust_JS[/media-credit]The Madison Police Department arrested three people suspected of dealing drugs Wednesday evening near the intersection of State Street and Broom Street, just outside Riley's Wines & Liquor.

Though MPD Sgt. Chris Boyd said no formal charges have been brought against the suspects, she added officers found evidence of what appeared to be illegal drugs on each person.

More than five police cars reported to the scene around 8:15 p.m. Wednesday, but according to Boyd, the MPD has been monitoring activity in the location for several weeks. She said officers had information on record for all of the suspects.

Though she noted the evidence still needs to be examined, Boyd said the suspects were engaging in drug dealing and that police confiscated substances believed to be illegal drugs.

"We've been watching the area for awhile," she added. "There has been suspicious activity going on."

MPD Lt. Dave Jugovich said later Wednesday evening that no further information would be released on the case, as details on private investigations involving drugs are not usually open to the public.

Madison resident Larry Armstrong, who was walking with two of the suspects at the time of arrest, said he used to be "good friends" with the suspect named "Perry," and had only met up with him 15 minutes before the police arrived. The police had records of the suspects, he added, and had clearly been staking the area.

"I wasn't even looking — the police came right down [Broom Street]," Armstrong said. "The police were watching them, and they knew about them."

Armstrong said he knew nothing about the alleged drug-dealing going on, but saw one of the suspects throw a bag into the street. Armstrong was questioned extensively by MPD officers, and he said police originally associated him with the incident. But Boyd said officers released Armstrong after questioning, taking only his name and address.

"The police didn't do anything wrong; they pulled me aside and were very respectful," Armstrong said. "I was trying to do right, not wrong."