UW gears up for Veteran’s Day

Events leading up to Saturday's Veteran's Day Parade begin today in an effort to raise awareness on the University of Wisconsin campus about past and present soldiers' impact on the United States.

Veteran's Day Parade coordinator and UW junior Brandon Sivret said he is associated with the Silver Wings organization and has been interested in remembering veterans since his freshman year.

Sivret said 2006 marks the second year of planned events leading up to the day of remembrance. Today Silver Wings will be recognizing Missing In Action and Prisoner of War Awareness Day at Library Mall. Several organizations will then make hospital visits to veterans Friday, and the events will commence with the annual parade at 12 p.m. Saturday.

According to Sivret, more than 600 UW students are currently involved in the Iraq conflict.

"We have a good percentage of students somehow involved in the military, and a lot more will be entering the Iraqi conflict," he said. "Everyone you know has friends or family involved with the military."

Robert Thelen, vice chair of the Support the Troops campaign, also said the university has a long military history, so even those who do not have friends or family in the military should take part in the weekend's activities.

Camp Randall stadium was formerly a training ground for soldiers, Thelen added. And both the Memorial Union and Memorial Library were dedicated to Wisconsin soldiers that have died in past wars.

"The [UW] campus itself goes back to veterans, and it's important we start this tradition up again," Thelen said. "The many veteran groups hope students really come out to support them in the parade."

For UW students involved with ROTC, Thelen said the week's events would have special meaning. A panel discussion with enlisted and recently deployed soldiers will be held Thursday to speak exclusively with ROTC cadets and midshipmen.

UW sophomore and Army ROTC Cadet Cpl. Sam Toso said Veteran's Day is something all students should care about out of respect for American veterans. Without veterans, he added, students would not have all the freedoms they take for granted today.

"Veterans shape our nation … and to honor them and thank them for who we are today is respectful," Toso said. "They are doing something that non-veterans and non-soldiers don't want to do."