Tensions high in final debate

[media-credit name=’RAY PFEIFFER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Magnum_RP[/media-credit]U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., and her Republican opponent Dave Magnum faced off Wednesday in their final debate before the Nov. 7 election, focusing primarily on illegal immigration and health care.

In the debate, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Madison, tension levels ran high and both candidates exchanged jabs throughout.
In response to a question on illegal immigration, Baldwin said a "comprehensive immigration reform" was in order. The funding for the 10,000 additional border security officers recommended to Congress by the 9/11 Commission, she said, was never put forth by the Bush Administration.
Baldwin said another challenge is dealing with the immigrants that are already in America.

She said the only "realistic way" to deal with illegal immigrants is to welcome them into the community and offer them a chance to work in Wisconsin — possibly on a permanent basis.

Magnum countered with a specific plan of his own.

"We give [illegal immigrants] two years to stand up and acknowledge their presence," Magnum said. "If they will not do that, they will then be considered [felons], and we'll be able to come to the conclusion that they're not here for lawful purposes."

Employers, he added, would be given the same two years to have proper documentation in their files for all employees.

When the discussion shifted to health care, Magnum cited the Small Business Health Fairness Act — legislation that would allow small businesses to pool their resources together to have more buying power and make insurance more affordable.

Magnum accused Baldwin of being anti-business, citing Baldwin's "zero rating" with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Baldwin, Magnum said, voted against small businesses 85 to 95 percent of the time.

However, Baldwin pointed to her recent 100 percent rating by the Women's Chamber of Commerce. Her own health care plan, she said, involves a bipartisan effort that lets states experiment with different plans.

"[My plan] would allow the states to test the ideas that have been gathering dust … in the halls of Congress," Baldwin said.

According to Baldwin, the idea is that a state will eventually find a plan that will work for everyone.

In response to a question regarding issues specific to the 2nd Congressional District, Magnum spoke about stem-cell research and increasing levels of federal funding for the state, stressing his focus on Wisconsin.

"I'm going to be promoting Wisconsin," Magnum said. "I want to use my experience as a proven job-creator so that my kids and your kids are going to be able to stay in our great state."

Citing ways she has supported her constituents, Baldwin addressed SeniorCare, the upcoming rewriting of the farm bill and funding from the National Institute of Health for scientific research at the University of Wisconsin.

And in their closing statements, both candidates argued for change.

"Career politicians," Magnum said, "lose their sense of reality."

Baldwin also expressed hope for a larger scale change in Congress.

"I really believe that we need to set a new course," she said. "We need a new direction."

Pizza Party

Baldwin stayed in Madison Wednesday evening, visiting the Langdon Street sorority of UW junior Caroline Poduch, the winner of Baldwin's "Top 10 Reasons Tammy Should Visit My House" contest.

In the visit, accompanied by pizza and cookies, Baldwin offered female-oriented political advice for the more than 25 women in attendance.

According to Poduch, the motivation behind getting involved in the contest was twofold.

"I was really interested in meeting Tammy … and I also wanted to get Greeks more involved in politics," she said.

Among the reasons cited for why Baldwin should visit the house were the political involvement of its residents and the philanthropic events the residents participate in, as well as the soft couches and the house's proximity to Lake Mendota.