Architect defends new high-rise

A large condominium project planned for the corner of North Bassett and West Johnson Street met mixed reviews from the Urban Design Commission at a preliminary informational meeting Wednesday.

The project, which would replace the current structure containing both Milio's and Casa Bianca, would feature new retail space, 197 condominium units and a 10,000-square-foot fitness center.

Project architect Gary Brink said the building fits in with the surrounding area, so the 12-story condominium project would not be out of place even though it would be marketed to a slightly older crowd.

"It is not aimed at a student market," Brink said. "I think there's a market [in the neighborhood] for young professionals."

He also said the structure features a variety of quality materials such as stone and brick, and added lighter-colored materials used on the top two floors will serve to downplay the "bigness" of the condominium.

Although Commission member Todd Barnett said he does not think the proposed building fits the style of the surrounding buildings, he said the variety of styles along West Johnson and North Bassett Street make the neighborhood more interesting.

"I think it's a handsome building … but I'm surprised it's this big," he said. "That area is going to have a whole range of styles."

And the problems Barnett expressed about the proposal were issues shared by many of the other committee members.

Barnett said he is concerned with the top two floors transitioning from brick material to a lower-quality stucco. He suggested the top floors be built with a "richer material," even though stories that high up would not be visible or noticeable to the average pedestrian.

Yet Commission Chair Paul Wagner said he simply does not like the change in material on the top stories because it is not an attractive feature. He also pointed to the city ordinance that does not allow buildings higher than 10 stories in that area, but will allow 12 stories if the design is particularly good.

"We're granting you an extra two stories because we feel there are qualities of this building that are above and beyond the norm — but this doesn't do it for me," Wagner said. "I don't agree with others who like it."

Commission member Michael Barrett said he is against the idea of tearing down the existing buildings in the first place. Barrett argued the buildings across West Johnson Street directly south are small houses, so the proposed project would not appropriately transition between the downtown area and the smaller neighborhoods.

"I'm not real comfortable with tear-downs," Barrett said. "I really fear that by allowing this and not providing a transition, we're dooming the neighborhoods to the southeast."

Barnett said he agrees the proposal could use another look from the architectural firm, but added the detail and quality of the building design makes it a valuable asset to the neighborhood.

"There are so many design styles, and this one is a throwback," he said. "But it's nicely detailed."