Tourism spike leads to extra crime

Alcohol-related citations were not the only arrests made by police this Halloween, as several other crimes hit Madison over the weekend.

The Madison Police Department charged a driver, Daniel J. Latzke, 27, of Waukesha, for trying to run pedestrians over with a car near campus, while the city also experienced its latest bank robbery — this time on the far-east side.

According to an MPD release, officers noticed a disturbance at the corner of Regent Street and North Randall Avenue shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday. There was a confrontation between a group of pedestrians and a group of people inside a car at the intersection, according to the release.

"Officers investigated and learned that words were exchanged between the two groups possibly related to pedestrians walking in front of an automobile," Lt. Pat Malloy said in the release. "One of the passengers of the automobile exited and confronted the pedestrians."

Malloy also said Latzke tried to intentionally run over the pedestrians with his vehicle. The victims, both non-Madison residents, were not seriously injured, but Latzke came close enough to the pedestrians to run over somebody's foot.

Latzke was charged with first offense operating a vehicle while intoxicated and recklessly endangering safety.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said most of the incidents and arrests around campus Halloween weekend — even those not on State Street — fit in with the trends of years past.

"The vast majority of folks cited … were not folks from our community," Verveer said. "There were people from all over Wisconsin and the Midwestern states."

Verveer said the only other unusual incident this weekend — which occurred outside of State Street — was an injury to a police officer. The officer was running after a suspect when he tripped and broke his wrist.

And in another disturbance over the weekend, police responded to yet another bank robbery just outside Madison at approximately 9:45 a.m. Friday. A release from the Dane County Sheriff's Office said the suspect, a 6-foot, 170-pound black male in his mid-20s, entered a U.S. Bank in the Town of Blooming Grove.

In the release, Lt. Mark Twombly said the man walked into the bank and demanded money from two tellers before he fled the scene on foot.

No one was injured in the robbery, and no weapons were displayed or implied.

Anyone with information on the robbery is encouraged to call the Dane County Sheriff's Office Tipster Hotline at (608) 284-6900.

Officers from the MPD and the Dane County Sheriff's Office declined comment on either case Sunday.