City looks for State Street input

City officials are looking for final input from residents and students in the design plan for the 500 and 600 blocks of State Street — the last phase of Madison's multi-million dollar reconstruction project.

The State Street Design Project Oversight Committee is holding a public informational meeting today, Oct. 26, at 7 p.m. on the second floor of 330 W. Mifflin St. for a question-and-answer session regarding the newest phase.

Committee Chair Ted Crabb said the informational meeting will be an opportunity to get public input on not only the 500 and 600 blocks of State Street, but also some final aesthetic touches to the area.

"This is an opportunity for anyone who is interested to come and see what the proposals are from the design team and to comment," Crabb added. "We're looking for input from anyone who wants to come."

Though the presentation and question session will be informal, Crabb said the committee is particularly looking to hear from people who have specific viewpoints, opinions or visions on what the finished project should look like.

According to committee member Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, the meeting will also inform residents of the intended plans for the Gilman Street intersection, Frances Street and "Concrete Park," located just north of Sate Street between private residence halls Statesider and The Towers.

"The consultants the city has hired to work on the project have come up with some ideas that are pretty out of the ordinary and some design ideas we haven't seen in earlier phases," Verveer said.

He also said the committee would like to discuss the idea of adding archways to the entrances and removing trees lining State Street to straighten the road and widen the pedestrian walkways.

If the community provides adequate feedback, Verveer added, the committee will present the design to the Common Council in January 2007.

"This meeting is very important, it really is a good opportunity to share input with us before it's too late," he said. "Hopefully we'll get some significant comment from the community."

After the plan is approved by the council, Verveer said the team hopes to start construction in April 2007. The city would like to finish the majority of the underground construction before Maxwell Street Days in July, he added.

"State Street deserves some extra care and is … arguably the most important and renowned street in the whole state," Verveer said. "I'm happy we have enough money to get the project going."