Victim allegedly hit in head with bottle

Two suspects allegedly attacked a victim near Library Mall on the 400 block of Murray Street Sunday night, causing minor injuries.

Madison Police Lt. Dave Jugovich said the victim was walking toward Library Mall at 9 p.m. on Murray Street while the suspect, who the victim reported may have had an accomplice, was walking on the same street toward University Avenue. Jugovich said that as the suspect was walking by, he struck the victim in the head using a glass bottle. After the attack, Jugovich added, the suspect unsuccessfully attempted to chase the victim down.

Jugovich reported the suspect as a black male in his 20s, 6-feet-2-inches tall and between 160 and 170 pounds. He was last seen wearing a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt and baggy blue jeans.

The Madison Police Department does not know whether the victim was a University of Wisconsin student, Jugovich added, but could confirm he or she only received minor head injuries.

According to the MPD press release, the suspect may have been accompanied by a second person wearing a mask from the movie "Scream."

"The crime is just unbelievable … and it's absolutely senseless," Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. "There's no seeming motivation for the crime whatsoever, as the police accounts make no mention of robbery. It was an absolutely random attack on a pedestrian."

Verveer also said the attack is unusual because it occurred on a Sunday fairly early in the evening. Normally, he added, these kinds of encounters would happen in the early morning hours around bar time.

Verveer also noted the attack occurred in a central location and could have happened to anyone. He added even though Murray Street is a dead-end, it is a fairly well-traveled area.

"There are usually a lot of pedestrians on that street where this happened, going from Ogg, Witte and Sellery Halls to Helen C. [White] and the Union," Verveer said. "It's absolutely unbelievable, and it sounds like it could happen to anybody."