Candidates face off in debate

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Baldwin_BF[/media-credit]In a student-oriented debate Sunday evening, U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., and her Republican opponent Dave Magnum answered questions submitted by University of Wisconsin students.

The debate, held at Memorial Union and sponsored by the Wisconsin Union Directorate, covered a variety of social issues, including health care, education and the proposed gay marriage amendment.

Magnum said health care is his "No. 1 priority," addressing his proposal that would allow small businesses to pool their resources and increase their buying power.

Baldwin rejected Magnum's plan, however, saying associated health plans like the one Magnum proposed would reduce the quality of coverage and that health-care reforms should be planned on a state-by-state basis.

"For so long, we've had a variety of health-care reform plans introduced into Congress that have gotten nowhere," Baldwin said. "We can start seeing states try some of these ideas; some states will try conservative reforms, some will try progressive reforms."

Discussion also shifted to the No Child Left Behind Act. NCLB, signed into law in 2001, requires states to create a system of indicators that show "adequate yearly progress," with a goal of having all students achieve their respective standards by the 2013-2014 school year.

Both candidates acknowledged problems with NCLB.

"The problem is that [NCLB] was authorized at funding levels far in excess of what this Republican Congress has been willing to spend, leaving states and school districts with a mandate with not enough funds to back it up," Baldwin said.

Drawing from what he called "practical experience," including conversations with his children's teachers and principals, Magnum said No Child "needs to be tweaked big time." The mandate, he said, affects the education children receive, as teachers now "teach only to the test."

But the candidates differed on their position on the proposed constitutional marriage amendment.

Magnum said he believes marriage needs to be an institution between one man and one woman, though he does not want to see loved ones barred from hospital rooms.

"We need to find some form of legal recognition, but this is going to take time," he said.

Baldwin expressed her opposition to the amendment, saying constitutions are meant to expand rights.

"We have never used those documents to discriminate against one group of people," she said. "It is un-American to be doing this."

Mike Hahn, chair of Students for Dave Magnum, said Magnum was courageous for showing up on the UW campus.

"I would challenge Tammy to go outside her comfort zone, outside of her own campus," Hahn said. "Dave showing up on a campus as liberal as ours, where it may be a hostile environment to him, really says something."

Stephanie Biese, chair of Students for Tammy Baldwin, said she was especially pleased with the student turnout because students are a large part of the 2nd Congressional District.

"I think it's important to show students that politicians care, and to show politicians that students care," Baldwin said.

Both Magnum and Baldwin are planning at least one more appearance on campus before the Nov. 7 election.