PACE marks sobering 10-year anniversary

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald Photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]pace_js[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin and city officials celebrated the 10-year anniversary of the Policy Alternatives Community Education project Tuesday afternoon at the Pyle Center.

Various speakers, and also a slideshow, highlighted the project's efforts to "decrease high-risk drinking and its negative consequences" among undergraduate students over the past decade.

"The PACE project has really been about promoting an environment where students can excel academically and not put themselves at personal risk as a result of high-risk drinking," PACE Project Director Sue Crowley said.

According to Crowley and other PACE officials, a culture of high-risk drinking in Wisconsin sparked the project's beginnings 10 yeas ago, as PACE members aimed to lessen the growing problem.

"There has actually been progression. It's an issue that has all kinds of cultural and historical roots," said Lamar Billups, special assistant to Chancellor John Wiley. Billups has been with the project since its inception.

Though PACE was initially funded by a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Crowley said the chancellor's office would start funding the program after the grant runs out in 2007.

Crowley said that even though the grant funding will be up, the project has not reached its culmination.

PACE has created many new programs for students to use that are alternatives to drinking, including longer hours at the SERF and helping to put on the All Campus Party.

"We have a number of strategies that we have implemented that — while they may seem small — when put together, they add up to some changes in how we approach alcohol issues in this community," Crowley said.

The tone of the event's speakers was hopeful, as many noted marked improvement in alcohol awareness on the UW campus since 1996.

"I think the greatest accomplishment of the project has been bringing together various campus and community stakeholders to talk about the seriousness of the high-risk drinking issue on our campus and in our community," Crowley said.

Crowley admitted that PACE does not always receive the best cooperation from students, since one of its more notable accomplishments has been eliminating certain drink specials from campus bars.

However, Crowley said that many students approved of the resolution that allowed students 18 years and over to attend live music events at bars and other drinking establishments that have a Performing Arts Venue license.

Despite the presentation being more of a celebration of what has been accomplished over the last decade, Crowley is still looking into the future.

One of her lingering concerns, she said, is with the role alcohol plays at the Mifflin Street Block Party.

"Unfortunately the Mifflin Street party has turned into basically a drunk-fest and it would be great if students started to think of it more as a spring party — [a] celebration — and deemphasize alcohol use," she said.

She went on to say that PACE has provided a list of tips for students to have a safe time at the Mifflin Block Party.

"We have a commitment beyond 2007 from the chancellor's office to continue some aspects of the works, so we'll continue the coalition," Crowley said.