Doyle to launch stem cell iniative

In an effort to reaffirm the state's commitment to stem-cell research, Gov. Jim Doyle will be making a major announcement today at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee.

"Wisconsin has been a national stem-cell leader, and the governor will make an announcement that will help to cement Wisconsin's status as a leader in the stem-cell industry," Doyle's spokesman Matt Canter said.

According to Canter, Wisconsin's position as a frontrunner in biotechnology and stem-cell research needs to be maintained for the sake of the state's future.

The state first gained recognition for its groundbreaking stem-cell research in 1998, when University of Wisconsin biology professor James Thomson derived the first stem cell. Since then, some have voiced support for expanding Wisconsin's stem-cell industry, citing its positive effects on job growth and development.

And while those with concerns regarding stem-cell research's ethical limits have communicated doubt in the industry's expansion, the governor has maintained his steadfast support and commitment.

"The governor knows that this is a controversial issue," Canter said. "But he believes strongly and has stated very plainly that as long as he's governor he will not allow politics to stand in the way of stem-cell research."

Additionally, State Sen. Spencer Black, D-Madison, agreed the state's dedication to stem-cell research and biotechnology will boost Wisconsin's economy.

"I think that it's excellent that Wisconsin is pushing ahead with efforts to expand stem-cell research in Wisconsin," he said. "Wisconsin can take the lead in technology that can do great things for humankind."

Black added that further stem-cell research would also benefit the state by possibly helping scientists find cures for life-threatening diseases like juvenile diabetes, Lou Gehrig's disease, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.

As Black and other supporters of stem-cell research continue to point to its economic and medical advantages, the lawmaker also expressed excitement for today's expected announcement.

Doyle plans to make his announcement this afternoon to the public.