Suder, UW frequently clash on policy

This is the eighth part in a series profiling members of the Wisconsin State Legislature.

State Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, in all likelihood, is not one of the University of Wisconsin's favorite politicians.

Since his election in 1998, Suder has gained recognition within the Legislature as one of UW's most outspoken critics, frequently saying the UW System and its Board of Regents have abused the public's trust.

Most recently, Suder has cited sex scandals, administrative pay raises and out-of-state tuition cuts.

"[M]any legislators and their constituents are very upset by the way the UW has handled these situations," he said. "It's hard for me to defend the UW to my constituents."

Suder additionally argued UW's internal mismanagement and "public missteps" have seriously strained relations between the Board of Regents and the Legislature.

"There's a long way to go before a true relationship and trust by both the Legislature and the public … can be restored," he said, characterizing their current relationship as "less than stellar."

While Board of Regents President David Walsh agreed relations are tense, he added the system has made a concerted effort to speak with Suder and other legislators who share similar concerns.

The UW System, Walsh added, is anxious to discuss matters in an effort to improve communications and to mediate disagreements.

"There are a number of matters we don't agree on with Rep. Suder," he said. "But that's healthy. And out of some constructive dialogue, we hope we can reach some common ground."

Suder, however, said that despite his aggressive attempts to foster dialogue between himself, the UW System and the Board of Regents, his calls have gone unanswered.

According to Suder, the UW System has largely ignored his cries for reform, taking misguided steps that only contribute further to its inaccessibility.

Citing the Board of Regents' unanimous decision to reduce nonresident tuition rates, Suder argued UW is practicing "unfair" and "discriminatory" policies that hurt in-state students.

The tuition plan, hatched earlier this year, calls to cut out-of-state tuition at all UW System schools — excluding UW-Madison — by more than $2,000 beginning this July.

"The breaks should go to those who pay the bills, and Wisconsin taxpayers pay the bills," Suder said. "We do have a public institution, and Wisconsin residents, I believe, should be given a priority."

As affordability continues to prove a serious problem for Wisconsin students, Suder added, he supports placing a reasonable cap on resident tuition.

But while Suder pointed to the Board of Regents' recent reforms as rash and defective, Walsh maintained the nonresident tuition cuts are part of a larger "growth plan" intended to regain the revenue lost during the last five years, when nonresident enrollment has dropped by more than 900 students.

Reaffirming the UW System's commitment to Wisconsin resident students, Walsh maintained the plan will encourage nonresident enrollment, thereby leading to increased total revenue which could be used to subsidize tuition for in-state students.

"If he can't understand that, he won't understand it," Walsh said.

Suder, however, argued the plan is irresponsible, adding the regents' other controversial decision to raise pay ranges for top administrative positions reflects an equal amount of irresponsibility.

The Board of Regents' decision earlier this year to raise certain UW System salaries drew fire from Suder and others, who decried the plan as an outrageous waste of public resources.

The UW System needs to remember small businesses form the economic engine of the state, and not the UW, as some supporters have speculated, Suder said, adding the Board of Regents and UW System should "compare themselves to the economic climate in Wisconsin."

But pay-increase supporters said the economic climate should be considered through a national lens, as competitive salaries are necessary to ensure the quality and excellence of UW System schools.

"This isn't rocket science," Walsh said. "We've lost excellent leadership because we don't pay market salaries. The Legislature knows that. Mr. Suder knows that."

While the UW System and Suder continue to disagree over the best course of action for the UW System, Walsh said he believes Suder's criticisms are "in good faith."

"I like Rep. Suder," Walsh added. "You know why? Because he cares enough to raise questions."

Although Suder said he enjoys playing an active role within the Legislature and would consider running for the state Senate, he added he plans to eventually take a break from politics and settle down to start a family.

"I'd like to finish the agenda I started when I first got elected," he said. "But do I want to be here forever? No."