Doyle ups WHEG awards

Gov. Jim Doyle will visit the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater today to sign a bill into law that will raise financial aid for low-income students.

Approved unanimously by both the state Assembly and Senate earlier this year, Assembly Bill 895 increases the maximum amount of Wisconsin higher-education grants from $2,500 to $3,000.

"Any time that we can provide more financial aid to the most needy of our students is a positive thing," UW-Whitewater spokeswoman Sara Kuhl said. "Five hundred dollars in the course of the year for some students will make a difference."

The bill's expected signing is not only drawing accolades from UW System representatives, but also received praise from state officials on both sides of the aisle who agree increased grants will improve accessibility to Wisconsin's higher-education system.

AB 895 author Rep. Joan Ballweg, R-Markesan, added increased grants for some students will not result in decreased awards for others, quelling a concern previously expressed by some former bill opponents.

As some bill proponents lauded its benefits for financially needy students, others also pointed to its positive effects on the state as a whole.

"I am pleased that the governor [will sign] into law a bill we worked to pass that will help students afford college," said bill coauthor Sen. Sheila Harsdorf, R-River Falls. "Ensuring college is accessible is critical to our state's economic prosperity."

The governor said the bill will help Wisconsin's economic climate by helping produce a greater number of college graduates, adding he plans to sign the bill for the well-being of both the students and the state.

"Expanding access to higher education is not just the right thing to do, but also is a key strategy to grow Wisconsin's economy by strengthening the knowledge and skills of the state's workforce," Doyle spokeswoman Anne Lupardus said.

Others agreed, but noted the bill is only one measure, and much more could be initiated in the future to ensure more low-income students receive the educations they deserve.

Brian Tanner, legislative director for the United Council of UW Students, hoped AB 895 would spur further financial-aid reform in the state.

"We believe it's the first step in a larger solution to protect affordability and accessibility to our campuses," he said. "We don't think it's the end-all solution, but we definitely think it's a step in the right direction."

But as some looked toward the future of higher-education funding, Kuhl emphasized the excitement surrounding the signing today.

"[I]t's just a feather in Whitewater's cap that we get to have the governor sign such a positive bill for higher education on our campus," she said, adding the occasion marks only one landmark in an exciting week of events, which includes the inauguration Saturday of new UW-Whitewater Chancellor Martha Saunders.

Doyle is also visiting Whitewater as part of his "Capital for the Day" initiative, in which Walworth County will be honored as today's temporary capital.