Taking a ‘savage’ look at life, sex

[media-credit name=’ERIN KEEFE/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]dan-savage_ek[/media-credit]Dan Savage, known for his raunchy sex columns in the spoof newspaper The Onion, delivered a ribald and engaging lecture Monday at the Memorial Union.

The lecture was more of a question and answer session, as audience members were asked to write their questions down beforehand so that Savage could respond.

"Without your 'Q' I can't give you my 'A'," Savage said to the packed audience.

Savage discussed things from the war in Iraq to bondage to relationship problems, prompting constant bursts of applause and laughter in the theater hall.

"An evening with Dan Savage is an adults only presentation," Savage said, after noticing a small child in the crowd.

But Savage stuck with his own style and personality coming out on stage with a pretzel and a pitcher of beer from the Terrace. He admitted he was not supposed to have either on stage.

"I told them that they were props for my performance," Savage confessed.

Sex was a favorite topic of the questions, and Savage was more than happy to oblige the audience, focusing on heterosexual issues such as how appropriate fetishes are.

"There is no better proof of heterosexuality, for a man, than panty wearing," he said.

Savage kept the mood light throughout the presentation, constantly making the signer on stage repeat lewd acts to the delight of the crowd.

He also gave out advice on various relationship problems.

"All relationships are built on a foundation of lies," Savage deadpanned. "Without lies, there could not be love."

He went on to note how funny it is upon meeting someone for the first time.

"When you meet somebody, you present your best self to them, because you want them to love you," he said. "That best self is a fiction, it's a façade."

Additionally, the crowd wanted to hear about Savage's political views and his Impeach the Motherfucker Already campaign. He has buttons and T-shirts and coffee mugs all emblazoned with ITMFA.

"Are we really gonna get the president impeached by wearing ITMFA buttons? No," he said, but added an opened-ended question "Do we really want to … " lingering with the crowd.

While Savage did not hide his disdain for the president, he admitted his own reach is limited.

"I can't throw myself between George Bush and the Constitution, but I can make fun of him. That's what ITMFA is," he said.

UW junior Harry Stein said although the lecture went a little long, it was worth staying the extra time on a school night.

"I really enjoyed it. … Hardly anyone left because it was really funny," he said, noting the crowd stayed until the end.

But in relating to the mostly college-age crowd, Savage took a more serious tone when he said sexual education should be kept out of schools entirely.

Other than a few serious moments, Savage kept the laughs coming with stories from his times speaking at other campuses and jokes about his own sex life.

"I'm not as passionate about sex because it is just a fucking job for me at this point," he said. "I've outsourced my sex life to India."

Overall, the audience continually stopped Savage during his answers to show their approval with applause and laughter.