Report:personal income down in WI

A nonpartisan group of Wisconsin leaders announced Sunday a decline in the state's per capita personal income and other key economic measures.

Competitive Wisconsin Inc. — made up of agriculture, business and education leaders — released Wisconsin's annual report card, which analyzed indicators of the state's economic well-being and interstate competitiveness.

Though the report suggests personal income has fallen, Wisconsin is doing well in terms of workers' education, the increased number of skilled workers and standardized test scores. Additionally, the state's high school graduation rate is up 10 percent in the last two years.

Eric Grosso, labor economist for the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development, said the increase in the number of skilled workers in the state is "certainly advantageous to … workforce numbers and wages."

Grosso added employers who are seeking to expand their businesses often look to areas that have workers with the skills they desire.

The report card also showed unemployment rates have decreased 0.7 percent since 2004, falling below the national average. These numbers also show promise for the state and "further highlight the advantages of living in Wisconsin," the release said.

"There is job growth after a national recession and that is a good indicator [of the state's economic success] and we are carrying forward," Grosso added.

Yet negative grades were given in this year's report card, as well.

Specifically, Wisconsin's household income has declined when compared to other states within the Midwest. Although, in the past, the state has far surpassed the country on this specific measure of economic success, its advantage over the national average has closed by more than 16 percent since 1995, according to the release.

Additionally, the study reported Wisconsin's state and local taxes are the highest in the Midwest region.

While Grosso pointed to the report card as evidence of a growing economy, others view it as a poor reflection on the leadership of Gov. Jim Doyle.

Gubernatorial candidate Rep. Mark Green, R-Wis., said in a release the report supports arguments for a Taxpayer Protection Amendment, a proposed constitutional amendment that aims to limit revenue in an effort to cut taxes.

"I'm running for governor because Jim Doyle is putting up needless barriers to opportunity and economic growth," Green said. "Whether it's high taxation [or] frivolous litigation … elect me governor and we'll tear down these obstacles to prosperity."

But Doyle defended his term as governor, maintaining a constitutional limit on government spending would only hurt the economy.

"The amendment has been a disaster for Colorado in education and business. … It will be a job killer for Wisconsin," Doyle's spokesperson Dan Leistikow said. "There have been 140,000 jobs created in Wisconsin during the governor's term and we expect the numbers to increase."

According to release, the report card, which is released annually by CWI, considers a state's competitiveness in 33 areas.