Pro-life group backs Green for governor

A Wisconsin pro-life group announced Tuesday its endorsement of Rep. Mark Green, R-Wis., for the next governor of the state.

Citing the candidate's staunch anti-abortion stance, Wisconsin Right to Life said its political action group is teaming up with Green to defeat Democratic incumbent Gov. Jim Doyle.

"Mark Green feels strongly that human life should be protected," WRTL spokeswoman Sue Armacost said. "On the other hand Gov. James Doyle believes there should be unrestricted abortion."

While Armacost maintained Green's morals are more closely aligned with those of Wisconsin citizens, Doyle backers argued they ignore the real needs of women and families.

According to pro-choice groups like the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League, Green's reproductive record threatens the well-being of women across the state who would be denied preventative care if the Republican congressman were elected.

"The Republicans in the Legislature and Mark Green have … tried to block access to birth control and to [block] support for women and families," said Kelda Helen Roys, executive director for NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin

Roys added had it not been for the veto power of Doyle, a number of the "most restrictive bills in the nation" — including measures to deny contraceptive access on the University of Wisconsin campus and to allow pharmacists to refuse to dispense birth control — would have become law this session.

"Jim Doyle is the one who's standing up for patients' rights, for women's health and for the ability for doctors to treat their patients," Roys said.

But Armacost pointed to these vetoes as evidence of the governor's failure to reflect the mainstream values of the state.

Green's campaign press secretary Rob Vernon agreed, adding Doyle's personal agenda is unfairly punishing the rest of Wisconsin.

"The governor has said that he does not support any restriction on abortion," Vernon said. "That means he doesn't believe parents should be notified when their children have abortions … and that means he believes Wisconsin taxpayer dollars should be used."

Roys, however, defended Doyle's efforts, adding the governor is working preventatively to reduce the need for abortion whereas Green's opposition to contraceptive care only contradicts his supposed pro-health and pro-family stance.

Joe Wineke, chair of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, agreed in a press release, calling Green the one who is "out of touch" with the state's citizens.

"If Mark Green had his way, Wisconsin would even revive a decades-old law that would make abortions a felony in Wisconsin, with absolutely zero exceptions — even in cases of rape, incest, or the health of the mother," he said.

With the gubernatorial election less than seven months away, both camps are actively planning campaigning efforts to garner awareness and support.

According to Roys, NARAL plans to work corroboratively with Doyle's re-election campaign to put a candidate in office who "supports a culture of freedom and a culture of personal responsibility."

In turn, Armacost said WRTL has made electing Green to governor one of the organization's "top priorities."

"We'll be very involved in the race," she said. "We need to replace our current governor."

The election will take place Nov. 7.