Sex offender bills get nod

Under a new law authorized by Gov. Jim Doyle, repeat sex offenders can now be sentenced to life in prison.

The bill was one of 10 initiatives signed into law Thursday aimed at affording greater protection to Wisconsin children and other victims of sexual assault.

Authored by Rep. Steve Wieckert, R-Appleton, the bill gives judges the authority to increase previously enacted maximum 40-year sentences to life behind bars for individuals convicted twice of first- or second-degree sexual assault.

"I'm very happy that the governor signed a bill today for two strikes and you're out for sex offenders," Wieckert said.

Wieckert added a zero-tolerance policy is necessary to deter sexual assault, as many offenders have "addictive" problems that make alternative efforts like rehabilitation largely ineffective.

The Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault, a group that has actively supported the measure, agreed and also applauded the bill signing.

"It's legislation that holds offenders accountable," WCASA spokeswoman Jill Groblewski said. "It's legislation that allows judges the opportunity to help protect communities by taking repeat offenders off the streets."

The measure, called Assembly Bill 708, passed with bipartisan support in both the Senate and Assembly earlier this year.

The governor also signed legislation Thursday expanding the state's DNA database to include fourth-degree sexual offenders, as well as to individuals convicted of exposing themselves to children or forcing children to expose themselves.

According to Doyle, these new regulations will aid law enforcement in conducting criminal investigations.

"The governor spent his career fighting for convictions and tougher penalties for sex offenders," Doyle spokesperson Dan Leistikow said. "And this DNA database will help to hold sex offenders accountable for their crimes."

Other initiatives signed into law include a measure to allow victims of sexual assault, domestic abuse and stalking to request their voter-registration records be kept confidential, and a measure that would remove time limits for prosecuting an individual in the case of a first-degree sexual assault of a minor.

Other legislation
Additionally, Doyle signed a bill into law Thursday allowing property owners to evict tenants who distribute or manufacture a controlled substance.

According to the bill, also authored by Wieckert, any state law-enforcement agency that notifies owners of such drug-related activities — or of gang-related activities — gives landlords regulatory discretion.

"Innocent, law-abiding people shouldn't have to move because of criminals next door," Wieckert said. "It's the criminals who should have to move."

The initiative, Assembly Bill 291, was proposed last year and passed with bipartisan support in both houses.