Black pushes for integrity, lower tuition

[media-credit name=’YANA PASKOVA/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]spencer_black_yp_416[/media-credit]This is the fifth part in a series profiling members of the Wisconsin State Legislature.

Since State Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, was elected to the Assembly's 77th District, he has been an active advocate for environmental protection, corporate taxation and education.

According to Black, he draws his inspiration from his love for the state of Wisconsin and his efforts to preserve and restore its integrity.

"It is time to return Wisconsin to the shining example it once was," Black said.

Black said he is disturbed by the role "big money and special interests" play in campaigning today, adding these contributions "are harming our government."

A staunch opponent of the recently introduced Taxpayer Protection Amendment, Black suggested time spent on the amendment — which would impose revenue caps to lower taxes and governmental spending — could be put to better use.

"The TPA would harm the quality of our government," Black said. "It would cut funding for the university, provide less financial aid and money to the quality of education."

Instead of enforcing the TPA, Black said taxation in the state needs to be "brought into balance" and the "loopholes" of corporate taxation need to be closed.

While concerned about taxation, Black said he is also worried about the course the University of Wisconsin is taking in terms of tuition increases and the availability of financial aid to its students.

The university must remain accessible to students of the middle class, Black said, while expressing his concern that financial aid is not increasing at the same rate as tuition.

Black's passion for the university has additionally led to legislation commending its athletic program.

Recently, Black cosponsored Senate Joint Resolution 56, which thanked and honored the accomplishments of former head football coach Barry Alvarez.

Black said he is "very involved in sports" and added that "introducing Barry to legislation was a fun part of [his] job."

Though some of Black's colleagues in the Assembly disagree with his political views, they admire his efforts in state government.

"[Black] is a champion on financial aid issues. In a bipartisan fashion, he works to make college affordable and accessible," Robin Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, said, adding Black is "passionate, well-informed and knowledgeable."

Although Black has long been active in education reform, he said environmental issues first sparked his interest in running for political office.

Born in New York City in 1950, Black began his environmental work with the Sierra Club, after which he was motivated to work toward protecting Wisconsin's outdoors.

According to Black, he ran for state Assembly when he realized "the [environmental] decisions about the places [he] loved would be made by politicians."

"I am concerned about protecting our outdoors," Black said, expressing his concern over the direction of Wisconsin's environment. "We need to clean up our waterways, reduce pollution in urban areas and provide more assistance to local [environmental] programs."

Black continues to assist such programs with the authorization of the Stewardship Fund, an organization that, along with the cooperation of various conservation groups, distributes matching finances toward the preservation of Wisconsin's outdoors.

Black has advocated many of his environmental goals and initiatives as a member of the Assembly Committee on Natural Resources.

According to Rep. Garey Bies, R-Sister Bay, key assets Black brings to the committee include his history of past accomplishments and knowledge of the subject.

"Black is passionate and believes in the positions he takes," Bies said, referring to Black's environmental protection advocacy.

As a member of the Assembly for more than two decades, Black said his love of Wisconsin continues to inspire him today.

"Despite the problems I'm trying to correct, Wisconsin is a great place to be with a terrific university system and wonderful people," Black said.