Doyle signs law to require booster seats

Prompting broad Democratic applause and some Republican criticism, Gov. Jim Doyle signed into law the Child Passenger Safety Bill Monday to require small children traveling in motor vehicles to ride in booster seats.

Assembly Bill 618 states children who are under age 8, less than 80 pounds and below 4-foot-9-inches in height will not only be required to wear safety belts as mandated under current law, but will also be required to ride in safety or booster seats.

According to Doyle spokeswoman Anne Lupardus, the new law will benefit the state by protecting Wisconsin children from needless traffic deaths.

"Traffic accidents are the No. 1 killer of kids in Wisconsin, and many of those deaths are preventable," Lupardus said. "By increasing child passenger-safety standards … it will help to safeguard our kids and reduce injuries in traffic accidents that children are involved in."

Authored by State Rep. Jerry Petrowski, R-Marathon, AB 618 was introduced and passed by the Assembly last year. The Senate proceeded to concur late last week in a largely bipartisan 23 to 10 vote.

Each of the 10 opposing senators was a Republican lawmaker.

While bipartisan bill supporters laud the approved legislation as a life-saving safety measure, some worry the law will unduly strip guardians of their parental discretion.

Additionally, many Republican legislators cited concerns that the law will end up overstepping the government's proper boundaries.

University of Wisconsin College Republicans Chair Jordan Smith echoed similar sentiments and challenged the law's feasibility.

"I think that the law, while well-intentioned, kind of is a hindrance to parents," Smith said, adding that using child-safety seats past age 3 does not seem necessary. "To me, it seems like unnecessary government involvement."

Smith added she questions how the law will be effectively enforced because of the bill's complex structure.

AB 618 classifies children according to varying weight, height and age brackets, creating specific regulations for each category.

Though some bill opponents have also raised questions regarding the burden the new law will place on low-income families with multiple children, Lupardus said the state will receive federal funds to partly cover such costs.

"By signing AB 618, the governor made Wisconsin eligible for $625,000 in new federal funds this year alone, and up to $2.5 million in the next six years," she said, adding the funding will be used for safety-seat education and training programs, as well as for programs that purchase and distribute safety seats to low-income families.

Federal funds are offered as an incentive to states with laws requiring booster or safety seats, Lupardus added.

In addition to Wisconsin, 33 other states and the District of Columbia have enacted similar laws requiring booster or safety seats.

The new Wisconsin law also provides a six-month grace period during which violators will receive warnings instead of citations.