Economy makes honor roll

Wisconsin made the Development Report Card Honor Roll for 2006, qualifying as one of only seven states to be recognized for its outstanding economy.

The report card, compiled by the Corporation for Economic Development, compares state economies and scores economic progress according to three categories: performance, business capacity and development capacity.

Only states that receive "A" and "B" grades for all three categories are placed on the honor roll.

"Making the honor roll is something special," Wisconsin Department of Commerce spokesperson Tony Hozeny said. "It's a pretty selective group and it shows that we have a strong economy."

In addition to Wisconsin, other states placed on the honor roll include Colorado, Connecticut, New Jersey, Virginia, Massachusetts and Minnesota. Only Massachusetts and Minnesota received all "A's."

Hozeny said Wisconsin's outstanding economy is due to the state's business sector as well as to Gov. Jim Doyle, who is active in promoting business expansion.

According to Doyle spokesperson Anne Lupardus, the governor's work in job creation and business and manufacturing investment has largely contributed to the state's economic success.

"What this really shows is the work the governor has done to create a better business climate in Wisconsin is working," Lupardus said. "The governor has made economic development a top priority."

Doyle critics, however, doubt the actual effect of the governor's work, pointing to other contributing factors.

"It seems to me the governor is in the right place at the right time. I don't know of any policy the governor has that has spurred our economy," state Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said. "For one individual to take credit for the work of small businesses and workers in the state I think is a bit much."

While Suder agreed the state's economy has improved tremendously, he said that more work still needs to be done to control taxes and further Wisconsin's progress.

"If we are able to get Wisconsin out of the top 10 taxing states in the union, we will see a surge of activity here in the state in terms of new businesses, new jobs and a bustling economy," Suder said.

The state did not make the honor roll last year because of the "C" grade it received in business development.

The CFED is a non-profit economic development organization and has prepared a national economic report card every year since 1979.