Governor lauds youth ‘Covenant’

Gov. Jim Doyle delivered a guest speech at the 85th Annual State Education Convention Jan. 20, outlining his Wisconsin Covenant program and garnering support from statewide school officials.

"The governor's Wisconsin Covenant program will make college more affordable for middle-class working families," Doyle press secretary Melanie Fonder said. "It will help any student regardless of background."

According to program provisions, eighth grade students who agree to fulfill certain program requirements, maintain a "B" average and stay out of trouble throughout high school will be awarded financial aid packages redeemable at any University of Wisconsin school.

Held at the Midwest Airlines Center in Milwaukee, the education convention gathered more than 2,000 people interested in discussing school policies and programs such as the Covenant plan.

The Wisconsin Association of School Boards, one of the organizing members of the convention, identified overall student achievement improvement as one of the organization's top priorities.

"This year, [the citizen Delegate Assembly] made a very strong and united vote on an election year statement to say that the school funding finance reform cannot stay bogged down in partisan politics," WASB spokesperson Annette Talis said. "School board members around the state feel it is unacceptable for political barriers to get in the way."

While the WASB has not issued a formal statement of reaction to the governor's Covenant plan, Talis said the audience was "generally receptive" and found the plan to be interesting.

"[Doyle] has heard from educators across the state who are very excited about it, he has heard from teachers who are very excited about it and he has heard from students who want to learn more about it," Fonder said.

Although the Covenant plan was among the governor's most popular State of the State proposals, some are expressing concern and say the initiative is not financially realistic.

"I think the governor is trying to make a lot of promises to a lot of people that the state can't afford," state Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said. "We can take a look at financial aid for students, but I don't think it's responsible to promise the world to everyone in the state."

Suder additionally said beyond fiscal concerns, such a financial aid program may discourage student accountability.

"I think we should be rewarding academic success, but I also don't think we can take care of everyone from cradle to grave," Suder added. "Personal responsibility has to enter into educational decisions and we can't promise to fund everyone's education to the full amount."

UW System Communications Director Doug Bradley disagreed, and said at this point, the governor and university are still trying to determine program specifics and remain optimistic about the process.

"[It would] be terrific if [the UW System] could find a way to make a college education accessible and affordable for kids and families in Wisconsin," he said.