Ethics Board: secretary cleared

The Wisconsin Ethics Board concluded its investigation Wednesday of a top Department of Transportation official, announcing the deputy secretary's questionable fundraising activity did not violate state statutes.

Deputy Secretary Ruben Anthony, the department's No. 2 official, held a fundraiser supporting Gov. Jim Doyle last September.

Ruben sponsored the event and invited the fundraiser's guests, including firms involved in state contracts with the DOT.

"I am pleased that the ethics board has cleared me of any wrongdoing," Anthony said in a press release. "I have been a state employee for almost 18 years. During that time, I have always sought to serve the people of Wisconsin diligently and with the utmost integrity."

Although Anthony said he views integrity as a top priority, others doubt the ethical standards of Doyle's administration, especially as the Adelman Travel contract scandal continues to escalate.

"Our reputation in Wisconsin for clean government has just been horrendously tarnished, and the actions of this governor show a complete indifference to that reputation," said Bruce Pfaff, campaign manager of Milwaukee County Executive Director Scott Walker.

Citizens across the state seem to agree Wisconsin is battling a tarnished reputation, as polls reveal an increasing number of constituents believe their state officials are not working in their interests.

However, Anthony said he believes Wednesday's findings have "restored [his] good name."

But Common Cause in Wisconsin Executive Director Jay Heck said the investigation's favorable results may not be enough in the people's minds to restore Anthony's questioned integrity.

"[The investigation] shows a very poor lack of judgment on the part of the governor and on the part of Mr. Anthony, because to the public this doesn't make any sense," Heck said. "[I]t undermines confidence in the Doyle administration."

Though reputations may be beyond saving, many are calling for a proactive response to the scandal.

Pfaff said the governor should "step up and stand above everyone else" and return any questionable money, even if Anthony's fundraiser did not violate the law.

Heck agreed the governor needs to show positive leadership, adding he hopes to see a proposal of real, substantive reforms in campaign finance and ethics laws.

Although the state's Ethics Board determined Ruben's activity to be legal and in compliance with its Code, the body also expressed discontent with system.

"[I]t may seem objectionable to some that a state official would organize and sponsor a fundraiser and invite … individuals who do business with [his] state agency … Wisconsin Statutes do not prohibit or restrict that practice," Ethics Board Chair James R. Morgan said in a press advisory. "The ethics board believes that statutes should prohibit this activity."