Full Senate to decide on Alito

In a split party-line vote, the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee approved Judge Samuel Alito's nomination to the Supreme Court Tuesday, passing on their recommendation to the entire Senate.

Although Republican Committee members view the recommendation as a success, Democrats — including Wisconsin's two U.S. senators — expressed concern over the conservative judge's rightist record.

Sens. Russ Feingold and Herb Kohl, both D-Wis., were among the eight committee members who voted against the recommendation, questioning Alito's impact on the high court if ultimately confirmed.

"I fear that a Justice Alito will narrow our rights, limit our freedoms and overturn decades of progress," Kohl said in a statement to committee Chairman Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Penn. "To confirm Judge Alito to the Supreme Court would be to gamble with our liberties, a bet I fear the Constitution — and the American people — would lose."

According to Alito opponents, the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge has a record that indicates he is a threat to civil liberties and women's reproductive rights.

In particular, pro-choice advocates like the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League warn that Alito, if confirmed, will swing the Supreme Court to overturn landmark cases like Roe v. Wade.

"We're certainly very gratified that both of our senators voted against putting him in charge of safeguarding our liberties when he has clearly demonstrated over the course of his career that he does not respect the freedoms Americans cherish, including the right to choose," NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin Executive Director Kelda Helen Roys said.

The Republican Party of Wisconsin, however, voiced support for the recommendation, defending Alito's judgment on issues such as abortion as legitimately based on fact.

"You could see that in the confirmation hearing, [Judge Alito's] temperament, his background and his experience all make him an incredibly well-qualified candidate," RPW Communications Director Christine Mangi said.

Mangi added she is confident the judge will be confirmed, as senators recognize the recommendation was made based on his overwhelming merits, not his personal beliefs.

With the Senate debate beginning today, both political parties anticipate divisive disputes that are likely to carry on throughout the week.

Alito's confirmation, critics say, brings much more contention than that of Chief Justice John Roberts, who last year replaced the late Chief Justice William Rehnquist. While Roberts took the seat of the conservative Rehnquist, Alito would replace key swing-voter Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who announced her retirement last year.

According to Feingold, the upcoming Supreme Court confirmation holds significant weight as precedent-setting cases will soon be decided.

"Some of the most important cases that the Supreme Court will consider in the coming years will involve the government's conduct of the fight against terrorism," Feingold said. "It is critical that we have a strong and independent Supreme Court to evaluate these issues and to safeguard the rights and freedoms of Americans in the face of enormous pressures."

Although most expect the Republican-dominated Senate to eventually confirm Alito, it is likely the vote will not enjoy bipartisan support. Alito opponents, however, remain hopeful Senate Democrats will filibuster to block the confirmation.