MGE donates to aid city’s energy costs

[media-credit name=’NATALIE WEINBERGER/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]mayordave_nw416[/media-credit]The City of Madison will seek to use energy more efficiently with the aid of a monetary grant from Madison Gas and Electric.

The grant, announced Tuesday by Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and MGE Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Gary Wolter, will go to undetermined "green efforts." As part of the joint initiative, MGE will invest $1.8 million on "green energy" projects in the city over the next eight years.

The investment will contribute an annual $150,000 directly, as well as another $75,000 for specific projects to reduce energy costs.

"This is a great gift to the City of Madison," Cieslewicz said. "This is a part of a larger citywide commitment to use energy more efficiently. We have a task force and we have a plan, but that means nothing without resources."

Wolter said there have not yet been any decisions on how the $1.8 million will be used, but increasing the efficiency of the city's use of energy will be the overall theme.

"Energy conservation is becoming increasingly important," Wolter said. "The price of gas has gone up and we have to deal with an ever-increasing population. It is critical that we use our resources efficiently."

Cieslewicz said the city has an annual energy bill of $4.5 million, which could be reduced if the city takes proper steps to cut energy use.

The city's budget does include $100,000 per year for the next five years, which will be used for weatherizing city-owned buildings to decrease energy use.

"Anything we can do to reduce the $4.5 million bill is good for our citizens," Cieslewicz said.

According to Cieslewicz, he made the decision to hold the press conference in the Madison Municipal Building because it is a perfect example of a facility where energy could be used more efficiently. He said he believes the building's energy use needs to be re-evaluated.

"We intentionally chose this building and this room because it's ridiculously hot in here for a day that's so cold outside," he said. "This building is notorious for open windows in January and rooms that are too warm. This building, along with many other city buildings, wastes a lot of energy."

Wolter emphasized it is crucial for the grant money to go to projects relevant to the public. By doing so, Wolter said Madison can be a beacon for other cities to follow.

"We need to develop visible energy-efficient projects to demonstrate to people what the possibilities are for conserving energy," he said. "We want Madison to become a leader as other cities across the nation join in the effort to save energy."

Wolter said visible projects funded by MGE's investment might include retrofits — which would weatherize existing city facilities — and solar water heating for the municipal pool's showers. However, projects would not be limited to these, and could include anything consistent with the overall goal to build a green city.

"MGE has long been committed to promoting energy efficiency to all our customers," he said. "We also have been fortunate to have the city as a partner in these efforts. The mayor's vision and leadership will help take the city further."