Winter parking rules in effect

Some University of Wisconsin students have called into question the City of Madison's alternate-side parking policy.

The policy, which went into effect Nov. 15, lasts until March 15 and, according to a Nov. 14 release, is meant to aid in the city staff's snow-plowing efforts. The policy requires people with vehicles to park their vehicles on the even-numbered side of the street on even nights and odd-numbered streets on odd nights. Parking enforcement units give tickets to violators between 1 and 7 a.m.

As a result, UW students and citizens with vehicles are likely to receive parking tickets at a greater frequency than in the past.

Streets Division Spokesperson George Dreckmann said in the release that the division is aware of the inconvenience the policy presents to Madison citizens.

"We realize that most people don't think about winter parking rules until it snows," Dreckmann said. "However, our alternate-side parking rules are in effect … regardless of weather conditions."

Dreckmann said that for the downtown, citizens are going to have to adjust to the new rules if they do not want a ticket.

"Violations of the alternate-side parking ordinance are punishable by fines of $10 for most of the city and $20 in the Snow Emergency Zone," Dreckmann said. "To avoid fines, people should park their cars on the proper side of the streets. Residents should also remove seldom-used vehicles, boats and other trailers from the streets now to avoid fines."

UW senior Danny Michuda said he does not agree with the city's policy, especially when there is no snow on the ground.

"I don't see the point," Michuda said. "If there's no need for plowing, then there's no need to give anyone a ticket for being on the wrong side of the road."

Michuda said he has already gotten a parking ticket since Nov. 15, his first one of the semester.

"[W]ho thinks it is worth the city's time to drive around overnight to collect $10 from someone when there's not even any snow on the ground?" he asked.

According to UW senior Sam Boebel, however, the city's policy can be seen in a positive light.

"It's kind of a hassle to move your car every day," Boebel said. "But with the cold weather coming, that's not such a bad idea. Warming your car up every day, while making you freeze, probably keeps your car from freezing."

Boebel said he makes sure to be conscious of the date and reminds his roommates to move their cars whenever he sees they are on the wrong side of the street for the night.

"We like to look after each other in our house," he said. "Sometimes I remind my roomies and sometimes one of them reminds me. We don't have a set system worked out. We kind of just play it by ear."

Michuda said though he is frustrated with the parking-enforcement system, the amount of the ticket and the effort it took to pay the ticket was minimal.

"When I found out I could just pay the parking ticket online, I was relieved," Michuda said. "I was never really too worried about paying $10 for a parking ticket, but I just didn't want to have to go all the way down to the City County Building to pay."