Mayor picks Civil Rights finalists

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz named three finalists for the job of heading the new Department of Civil Rights Tuesday.

Cieslewicz named Lucia Nuñez, Micabil Diaz-Martinez and Gladis Benavides as the finalists.

George Twigg, communications director for the mayor, said the candidates were selected after a long deliberation process.

"There was an extensive screening process for the selection of the three candidates," Twigg said. "The process began with a written questionnaire, with responses reviewed by a screening panel. That was followed by oral interviews conducted by a panel. Then finally the mayor interviewed the candidates."

According to Twigg, narrowing down the candidates was no easy task.

"There were a number of very good candidates," Twigg said. "However, the three finalists separated themselves in terms of their past experience, their strong personalities and a desire to get things done."

Nuñez and Diaz-Martinez have been involved in the public realm, serving as administrators in the Department of Workforce Development. Benavides has served in the private sector as the president of Benavides Enterprises Inc., a firm that specializes in diversity management.

The Madison Department of Civil Rights formed as a result of a merger between the Affirmative Action Committee and the Equal Opportunities Committee. The fusion of the groups was contested, but Cieslewicz says it will benefit the city.

"We all agreed it was time to raise the bar and heighten the visibility of civil rights for all Madison residents," Cieslewicz said in a release. "I ask [both sides] join me in ensuring we make the best of this new opportunity to advance equal rights."

According to the City of Madison website, the DCR will serve to heighten the visibility of equal rights, underscore the benefits of diversity, rejuvenate anti-discrimination efforts and address quality of life issues.

Twigg said the mayor will make his final decision on the position Thursday.

"The mayor has expended a lot of energy in consideration of the best person for the position," Twigg said. "He will announce his final decision at a press conference at 12:30 on Thursday."