Bill would reform energy policies

Two state legislators introduced a bill Friday which, if passed, would require the state to reform its energy policies.

The bill, known as the Energy Efficiency and Renewables Act, would force the state to increase energy conservation, enhance usage of renewable energy sources and protect the state's Public Benefits Fund, all of which would ultimately save taxpayer money.

The state has stripped more than $100 million from the Public Benefits Fund — an energy conservation fund — over the past two biennial budgets and has diverted the money into the state's general fund.

State Sen. Robert Cowles, R-Green Bay, a co-author of the bill, said he has worked for many years to improve the state's energy policies and wants the state of Wisconsin to be a leader in energy reform.

"I believe this is a very significant initiative that will put the state ahead in conservation and renewables and help buffer ratepayers in the future from higher prices," Cowles said.

The bill included recommendations made more than a year ago by energy industry representatives and the state Task Force on Energy Efficiency and Renewables, which was created under Gov. Jim Doyle, state Rep. Phil Montgomery, R-Ashwaubenon, an author of the legislation, said.

"What we would see is not only cost savings in the generation of energy, but also we would see a lot of investment in the technologies in the state," Montgomery said.

Under the provisions of the bill, the state would have to do the following:

– increase its energy generation from renewable sources to 10 percent by the year 2015

– increase the amount of renewable energy purchased by the state government to 20 percent by 2011

– emphasize energy efficiency of state structures by stiffening building codes

– ensure the state's energy conservation funds are maintained and put to good use

– craft "rural energy initiatives" to promote the use of such devices as anaerobic digesters, which are used to turn animal manure into energy, and wind turbines.

"The essence of this is to diversify the types of energy we use and suppress the demand of it through increased efficiency standards and conservation," Cowles said. "All of these things are critical."

The primary renewable energy sources utilized in Wisconsin are wind and solar energies, and also biodiesel, which is fuel formulated from biological matter, like animal fats or vegetable oils.

"What's nice is the [renewables] industry in Wisconsin has been exceeding the current state requirements of about 2.5 percent — we're at about four percent," Montgomery said. He also noted the state will only have to increase the amount of energy produced from renewables by six percent over the next 10 years to reach the standards set in the bill.

Though the legislation would address some issues surrounding the high cost of natural gas, Cowles said a common misconception of the proposal is that it has stipulations regarding imported petroleum.

Doyle released a statement giving his full support to the Energy Efficiency and Renewables Act, highlighting the need to keep state funds dedicated to energy use in the state, boost local economies and back new technologies in renewable energy.

"We have the resources right here in Wisconsin to move toward energy independence, whether it's with wind power or energy resources grown on Wisconsin farms," Doyle said in a release.

The bill is slated to receive a joint committee hearing Nov. 22, Cowles said, adding he hopes the bill will be voted on by the state Senate and Assembly in the next few months.