Board discusses alcohol statistics

The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents Education Committee discussed several issues pertaining to the UW System Thursday, including a recent survey related to alcohol abuse throughout the system.

The board members were presented with statistics on the usage of alcohol among UW college students as well as recommendations on how to best address binge drinking.

"Encouraging healthy behaviors by college students in Wisconsin, particularly when it comes to alcohol, will take attention at all levels," UW-Stevens Point Chancellor Linda Bunnel said in her presentation to the regents.

Bunnel, who chairs the system-wide Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (AODA) committee, emphasized this issue is not just a UW problem but a problem affecting the entire state of Wisconsin.

Larry Rubin, UW System assistant vice president for academic and student services, presented results of a survey on alcohol abuse among undergraduate students, which he helped develop.

The results of the survey found 59 percent of UW undergraduate students had engaged in binge drinking — defined as drinking at least five drinks in one sitting — in a two-week period, considerably higher than the national average of 44 percent.

The survey also showed the direct and indirect consequences of alcohol usage, including students missing class as a result of alcohol use, and students being distracted by the drinking of others.

"In general, the patterns of alcohol use among UW students we see in this survey are similar to what we see in surveys of other colleges and universities, but the rates of binge drinking are higher in Wisconsin than the national average," Rubin said.

The committee also heard from Susan Crowley, project director of Policy, Alternatives, Community, Education (PACE) at UW-Madison, on recommendations of how to address this issue. She suggested the best way to reduce high-risk drinking among college students was to take an "environmental approach."

"Environmental approaches use policy interventions to create an alcohol environment that supports healthy, safe behavior," Crowley said. "Policy interventions include media advocacy, public policy or practice changes that promote long-term, sustainable change."

Amy Margulies, AODA committee representative from UW-Whitewater, outlined some programs being used to curb alcohol abuse.

"Currently, our campuses have in place a number of promising practices we can use to educate students about the potential harms that result from high-risk use of alcohol and other drugs," she said.

These programs include informing new students about alcohol and drug policies and penalties, she said, as well as enhancing awareness of personal liability and providing safe walk services.

During the meeting, the committee also heard a report from Regent Michael Spector regarding the results of a "good-faith dialogue" addressing the public health issues of poverty-stricken areas in Milwaukee.

"There was a very [good] good-faith discussion," Spector said. "[The discussion] really achieved something substantial."

The dialogue came out of a controversy arising from the UW Medical School being renamed the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, approved by the regents last month.

Milwaukee politicians argue the renaming of the medical school would diminish the chances of a similar school being established in their city, which they perceive to have a greater public health need.

The board members echoed Spector's sentiments, praising all parties involved in this dialogue.

"All of us are feeling very pleased at hearing and following along with how well the collaboration went," Regent Elizabeth Burmaster, chair of the Education Committee, said.