Local group files recall of mayor

The Madison affiliate of the Citizens for Responsible Government Network launched its official recall of Mayor Dave Cieslewicz Wednesday, citing the mayor as "ani-business."

The group filed a recall registration statement to city hall Wednesday morning. For a successful recall, the activists will have to collect around 35,000 signatures in 30 days. Heather Mees, Madison CRG Network spokesperson, said though the effort requires a lot of work, she believes the group can reach its goal.

"I think if we all do this together, it's going to happen," Mees said.

The CRG Network has never failed in an attempt to get a recall, and of the 20 mayors that they have recalled, 16 have been replaced, according to spokesperson Chris Kliesmet.

Mees said the special interest group received support prior to filing the recall statement.

"Over the weekend we distributed the petitions to bar owners and other businesses, and explained to them how to collect the signatures and things like that," Mees said. "We already had 150 people on board over the weekend who would help us distribute and collect the petitions."

The response the CRG Network has received since early Wednesday has been encouraging, Mees added.

"I've gotten 20 new phone calls since we filed the recall this morning," Mees said. "So I've been busy, but I can't complain. The response has been great."

Mees explained that, given the mayor's record, citizens deserve a chance to hold him accountable for things they may not be happy about.

"This would not necessarily eliminate him from office," Mees said. "It would give people a chance to vote again for their representative. We just want to give people that chance. If I'm given a four-year contract, I'm not allowed to sit and do nothing. And if I don't perform well, I can be released."

According to Mees, the view that the mayor is anti-business has compounded over the course of his term.

"A lot of the people we've talked to say it's a snowball effect," she said. "We ask them their reasons for joining the effort, and they say it started with things in the past like the minimum wage decision. Since then, the smoking ban and the Overture Center crisis seem like the final push over edge."

George Twigg, director of communications for the mayor, said Cieslewicz does not view the recall effort negatively.

"The mayor is glad to have the chance to brag about his term," Twigg said. "The mayor's track record can speak for itself."

Twigg said any claim which says the mayor is anti-business fails to consider the entirety of Cieslewicz's term.

"Since he took office, Madison has seen the creation of 5,000 new jobs," Twigg said. "We also have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. The big picture is that the mayor is certainly pro-business."

The recall effort has until Dec. 8 to reach the necessary 35,000 signatures. The CRG Network is still working to not only gather signatures, but momentum for the cause as well, Mees added.

"We have a rally this evening, we're trying to spread our message and gather support," she said. "We also have a rally next week, and I think, with the increased support I've been seeing, that this has a good chance of happening."