CALS appoints new dean

Cornell University Professor Molly Jahn has been appointed as new dean of the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin officials announced Tuesday.

After lengthy screening process and interviewing stage that began after former CALS Dean Elton Aberle announced last fall he would retire this September, Jahn was selected over the other finalist for the position, Associate Dean of Michigan State's College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Douglas Buhler.

As a professor in plant genetics and breeding, Jahn said she is "delighted" at the opportunity to come to such a renowned agricultural college at a prominent research university.

"[CALS] clearly has an outstanding history and a very high profile as an ag college," she said.

When Jahn begins her UW tenure next August, she will relieve CALS Executive Associate Dean David Hogg, who has been serving as interim Dean since Aberle's retirement.

While still much interested in science and research, as dean of CALS, Jahn said she is looking more forward to the outreach opportunities the position entails.

"I'm certainly looking forward to working with the faculty closer through the shared governance system," she said.

Interim Provost Virginia Sapiro, who helped select Jahn with Chancellor John Wiley and former Provost Peter Spear, said Jahn has an energy level and vision that promises to bring a fresh approach to the college.

"I think she's going to bring great energy, intelligence and vision to help bring CALS through its next phase," she said. "I know the rest of the deans are very excited to have her on campus and welcome her."

In addition, Sapiro said Jahn's leadership skills are crucial for her new deanship.

"Dean Jahn is going to be a really wonderful addition to the campus," she said. "She's terrific at working with people … so we think she's going to be great for the College of [Agricultural] and Life Sciences."

Sapiro added Jahn also has a variety of professional experience that also makes her a perfect fit for the variety of research and programming at CALS.

"She herself is a great scholar and scientist," she said. "She's good at both basic science and is very familiar with production issues in agriculture."

As a Michigan native and mother of six, Jahn said she looks forward to bringing her family closer to her Midwest heritage.

"Obviously, we're very much looking forward to joining the Madison and university community," she said. "I'm pleased to be coming back closer to home."