Overture Center debuts new Capitol Theater

[media-credit name=’KIM BUCHOLZ/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]overture_kb416[/media-credit]The Overture Center for the Arts opened the doors of its Capitol Theater to the public this weekend. The Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra serenaded the hall with a performance Friday night and Overture held open houses both Saturday and Sunday.

"Friday's performance was the first ever performance by the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra at its home venue," Michael Goldberg, interim president for the Overture, said. "The Capitol Theater is the orchestra's first permanent home in its 45-year existence."

Tina Frailey, Overture press director, said the most noticeable thing about the new theater is the architecture, which has been restored and accurately reflects the 1920s.

"I never really noticed it before because it was always so dark," Frailey said. "But now that we have the new lighting and the hall is visible, the architecture is so beautiful."

Frailey said entering the theater will be a unique experience for anyone seeing a show.

"There are three entry points to the theater," Frailey said. "Upon entering the theater, a patron will walk through one of three visual art galleries. The theater not only features great performances, but the art and architectural beauty that surrounds and is a part of it are just as much a part of the experience."

According to Frailey and many present during the open house, the exterior architecture and artwork provide an aesthetically pleasing outside to a comfortably renovated hall.

"The interior of the theater is just a beautiful space," Frailey said. "We have brand new seats, a new curtain and brand new side boxes for people to watch the shows. The structure of the seating will make the audience feel so much closer to what's happening on stage."

Goldberg said the Capitol Theater would allow Overture staff more flexibility with regard to scheduling events.

"We ourselves will be programming in the theater, and we have a mixed bag of interesting and quality shows," Goldberg said. "We will also share the space with the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra and the Madison Family Theater, [which] will begin its Christmas Carol performances in December."

Frailey said the Capitol Theater allows Overture to bring in even more programming than before.

"We're so happy to have the new theater," Frailey said.

The new Capitol Theater seats 1,100 guests, while Overture Hall, which debuted last fall, seats 2,251.

Goldberg said the range of theater seating fits a range of shows.

"If you're looking to put on a show with seating for 1,100, then the Capitol Theater is for you," he said.

Frailey noted the opening of the theater is the first step in the completion of phase two of Overture Center construction. The final step of phase two will coincide with the City of Madison's sesquicentennial in February 2006, with the renovation of the Playhouse and the opening of the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, she added.

"We're versatile, we've got visual art and we've got cutting-edge performance art as well," Frailey said.