MPD confirms death of alumnus

[media-credit name=’MATTHEW KUTZ/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]wray_mk416[/media-credit]The Madison Police Department confirmed the death, possibly related to the weekend's festivities, of a 22-year-old University of Wisconsin alumnus at a press conference Monday.

The man, who was visiting for Halloween from Illinois, was found by his friends in a downtown apartment Sunday morning, according to Madison Police Chief Noble Wray.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, in a release, expressed his sorrow regarding the unfortunate circumstances.

"This is a tragic loss of life, made more so by the young age of the victim," Cieslewicz said. "My thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time."

The investigation into the death is ongoing, and Wray said he could not conclude whether or not the death could be tied to the Halloween celebration.

"It's too early in the investigation for us to determine if there is a link between the death and the event," Wray said. "However, we have reason to believe we will bring the issue up in future discussions about Halloween."

Wray, however, could link a serious head injury that occurred at 3:50 a.m. Saturday to the event. Wray said a 19-year-old male from Illinois suffered a head injury after falling at a residence on the 1300 block of Saint James Court. The young man had been drinking at the Halloween event Friday night and is in critical condition at UW Hospital.

The MPD also addressed its post-event reactions. Wray said recent Halloween events have presented patterns the police used to determine when to try and disband the crowd. Wray divided Halloween revelers, generally, into three groups.

"The first group is the 90 percent of the people who come to the event, behave and leave early," Wray said. "Then there are the happy drunks, who face the lion share of the sanctions. Finally, there is the small group of people determined to come to the event and cause a riot."

MPD Assistant Chief Randy Gaber said police made the decision to end the event at 1:45 a.m. post-daylight savings and armored officers began to mobilize. At 2 a.m., officers began to disband the crowd, he added.

Wray said the behavior of the revelers, which was consistent with pre-destructive behavior in past years, led to the forceful dispersal of the raucous partiers.

"We saw consistent behavior from the revelers," Wray said. "Prior to any destructive behavior the crowd would typically begin to jump, chant and start to throw projectiles."

According to MPD Special Events Capt. John Davenport, police attempted to quell the chaotic crowd before the scene became too dangerous.

"Our mission at that point was to clear the street," Davenport said. "We have three options to do that: pepper spray, tear gas and physically moving the crowd with our batons. We have found that pepper spray is the most effective means to move a large crowd."

All told, police made 468 arrests on more than 700 charges during the Halloween weekend. Sixty-one percent of arrested partiers are residents of the state of Wisconsin, 14 percent live in Minnesota and 12 percent came from Illinois. The MPD has not yet determined what percentage of the arrests University of Wisconsin students represented.