Cieslewicz unveils 2006 city budget

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz introduced his 2006 Executive Operating Budget at a press conference Tuesday, saying he believes it is both fiscally responsible and steady while calling it the most difficult budget he has constructed in his three years in office.

"I think this budget strikes the right balance between protecting taxpayers while providing citizens the basic services they enjoy," Cieslewicz said.

The mayor said he adequately funded his priorities with this budget, particularly in terms of public safety, adding six new patrol officers for the City of Madison Police Department. Cieslewicz, however, admitted the MPD requested more.

"I've heard from the police department that they are in need of more officers," Cieslewicz said.

George Twigg, communications director for the mayor, said Cieslewicz plans to ensure quality police service in next year's budget.

"The mayor added as many officers as he could," Twigg said. "The budget cuts a net of about 15 city staff positions, but the number of police officers will increase. The mayor did everything he could to maintain a high level of public safety."

Twigg said the net reduction of 15 positions is a dramatic change from past years but that the mayor has added over 50 new city staff positions since he was elected.

While the city may expect to see an increase in officers, if the mayor's budget is approved, Madison will also see an increase in the cost of certain fundraising programs. Particularly, the mayor said, the budget increases parking fines, ambulance fees, building-permit fees and large-item pickup fees.

Due to the pressures of a growing city, Cieslewicz said there are four specific reasons behind the necessity of raising funds in the new budget. These include increases in fuel and health-care costs as well as the expanding nature of the city itself, which are "major factors driving the growth of the budget," Cieslewicz said.

But Ald. Zach Brandon, District 7, expressed concerns about the mayor's increased spending.

"Despite the increased fees the city will be receiving from certain programs, the spending in the budget is significantly increased," Brandon said. "No matter where you get [the money], we're still causing a deficit in some area of the city."

While contention may arise during the approval process of the budget, the mayor included a property-tax levy increase of 3.95 percent, lower than his original target of 4.1 percent, and he said he is proud to have exceeded his own expectations in this area.

Cieslewicz said he challenged the Common Council to exhibit the same responsibility when following the budget by not exceeding the target of 4.1 percent.

"This has been an extremely challenging budget, but the final product is a balanced and responsible proposal that protects both vital city services and taxpayers," Cieslewicz said. "I hope that as the Common Council takes up my budget, they will keep those two goals in mind."

Brandon said he wished the mayor had challenged the council to better his proposal, not limited its actions to his original goal.

"The council has never exceeded the budget," Brandon said. "The challenge should have been to meet or go below 3.95 percent, not to meet or go below 4.1 percent. I think the mayor's challenge gives the wrong message."

The potential approval of the budget is about a month away, following recommendations from the Board of Estimates. Both the Operating Budget and the Capitol Budget will be voted on Nov. 15 in their finality, Twigg said.