International police organization picks Riseling

University of Madison Police Chief Susan Riseling will serve the campus community in a new capacity as of this week. Riseling, who has served her university position since 1991, has been elected vice president-at-large of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, an international group of more than 19,000 prominent law-enforcement officials.

Under her new position, she will oversee various IACP committees as the first person from Wisconsin or a campus department to be elected to the position.

"It's a tremendous honor and a tremendous high," she said. "It's [exciting] to be elected by your peers to a leadership position like this."

Riseling added the new position places her at the "cutting edge" of her profession and will also give her the privilege of networking with other police officials across the globe to better serve the campus community.

"It's just an enormous opportunity that I have right here at my fingertips," she said. "It's going to make my job so much easier, so much simpler."

Vice Chancellor for Administration Darrell Bazzell said Riseling's ability to network with others is what makes her such a unique and prolific officer.

"I think … her openness to work with others to solve problems speaks very well of her," he said. "We're very pleased with her election and feel she's very deserving."

Riseling's appointment at the IACP also reflects a common level of prestige within UW departments, Bazzell added.

"Obviously, we have excellence across this campus," he said. "It's good to see that level of expertise extends … to the police department."

Because UW ranks as a prominent university, Riseling said her appointment only reinforces the university as a reputable academic force.

"The University of Wisconsin has national repercussions on what it does," she said. "It's very much a dynamic and growing place."

Yet Riseling admits the position does not come without subsequent stress.

"It's humbling because of the responsibility that's … placed on your shoulders," she said.

Currently, Riseling is attending the IACP's 112th annual conference in Miami, Fla., where members will promulgate the future of law enforcement.

"Well, it's in the mid-80s and it's nice," she said of the trip. "It's really nice."

Riseling added her trip is funded by the IACP, not taxpayer money.