University scientists construct ‘Nanobucky’

In an effort to bring mainstream attention to the fledgling field of nanotechnology, University of Wisconsin scientists have created a rendition of Bucky Badger out of microscopic carbon fibers, dubbing it "Nanobucky."

The microscopic mascot is composed of thousands of "nanofibers" measuring one-billionth of a meter — 9,000 of these Nanobuckys could squeeze onto the head of a pin.

While Nanobucky may seem like a laboratory prank, it is representative of a growing number of potential uses for the technology.

"There's a lot going on," said UW chemistry professor Robert Hamers, who headed Nanobucky's creation. "Certainly it's got enormous potential. It's like biotechnology times 10."

Nanotechnologies — specifically nanofibers — are already implemented in many everyday consumer products like stain-resistant khakis, self-cleaning windows and water-resistant sunscreen. Hamers also said there are no limitations to where the technology could go.

Nanofibers could be used to create highly sensitive sensors to test for biological agents, filters that can separate specific elements from others, microscopic electronics and testing devices for disease-prone gene structures, Hamers said.

Neither the risks nor potentials of nanotechnology is fully known, Hamers said.

"It's always a balancing act … a trade-off of, 'Do these materials work better and will they be better for the environment?' … They should be treated with respect and caution, but not fear."

Hamers said many people might be quick to weigh the potential hazards of nanotechnology, but the science will speak for itself.

UW promised $13.4 million over five years to fund the Nanometer Science and Engineering Center last year, which brings numerous scientists together to collaborate on various nanotechnology endeavors.

But as efforts in nanotechnology gain momentum, some fear they could be impeded by special-interest groups before major breakthroughs hit mainstream society.

UW journalism professor Dietram Scheufele conducted one of the first national queries on public knowledge and attitudes on nanotechnology and said the general public's opinions will sway depending on whether it is introduced to nanotechnology in a positive or negative manner.

"I honestly think we're at the cusp of hitting mainstream media and it could go either way," he said. "They are much more concerned about societal impact [than the technology itself]."

Scheufele added that scientists and universities must take a "pro-active" approach to publicizing nanotech advancements.

"Every finding is contingent of certain possibilities in a certain way," he said. "[Scientists] have been trained to make statements that don't work for media, and [the] media [isn't] trained to make scientific statements."

For this reason, Scheufele said, the public has a hard time understanding scientific issues. Conversely, he said, scientists are wary of criticism and often steer clear of mainstream media.

"The key part is for the hard science to be involved," Scheufele said. "To make a decision on nanotech, people will use the [smallest] amount of time — it's apathy of the public versus apathy of the scientists."