Regents nix back-up appointments following controversy

In the next step of a controversial series of events for the University of Wisconsin System, the Board of Regents decided to suspend the use of administrative “back-up appointments” positions July 26.

“Technically a back-up is a term that doesn’t exist; it’s nowhere in the statutes and it’s become a university parlance,” Doug Bradley, UW Director of Communications, said.

Bradley said a back-up appointment refers to a UW administrative position that administrative employees who are forced to change their role can fall back on as a source of job security.

“[Hypothetically] you’re a dean, and it turns out we get a new chancellor or provost and they don’t like you,” Bradley said. “All of a sudden you’re removed, but what you can do is fall back to your tenure position.”

The UW System will use the suspension as an opportunity to review the back-up appointment process.

“At my request, and in consultation with UW System President Reilly, the Board of Regents has directed UW chancellors and the president not to include so-called ‘back-up’ appointments as part of any employment package until we are confident that our policies match our principles,” Board of Regents president David Walsh said.

Those “principles” came into question last month when it was revealed former University of Wisconsin-Madison Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Paul Barrows had taken seven months of sick leave with full pay.

The subsequent fallout has initiated questioning of the back-up appointment system.

The Paul Barrows Situation

In Nov. 2004 Barrows opted to take leave from UW, using accrued sick and vacation time. At that time the reason for Barrows’ departure was not explained. During his leave, Barrows was paid his full yearly salary wage of $191,794.

While gone, Barrows’ former position and department were eliminated from the school’s roster. When he was set to return to UW on June 20, UW Chancellor John Wiley organized a new position in which Barrows would be a consultant on a pilot diversity program in Milwaukee. His salary was decreased to $150,000 per year.

However, shortly before the end of Barrows’ seven-month leave questions surfaced when it was revealed that Barrows had been a final candidate for the University of Texas’s vice-president of student affairs position. Many, including state legislators, wondered how Barrows was able to apply for another position if he was on sick leave.

On June 23 Wiley confirmed Barrows had engaged in a brief romantic engagement with a 40-year-old adult graduate student.

“A significant factor in Dr. Barrows’ leave of absence was a relationship,” Wiley said in a statement. “Dr. Barrows acknowledged the relationship and contended that it was fully consensual and not a violation of any law or university policy.”

Nonetheless, Wiley felt the move had “irreparably” hurt Barrows’ vice chancellorship.

“At the same time, Dr. Barrows revealed personal and family circumstances to continue as vice chancellor,” Wiley said.

At the time of Barrows’ return to UW, Wiley said new claims of misconduct had sprouted. In response, Wiley placed Barrows in a “backup” position on June 23 as senior administrative program specialist in the Office of the Provost with a salary of $72,881. Concurrently, Barrows was placed on administrative leave.

The Regent Situation

Soon after the Barrows controversy began, the UW System came under scrutiny for its employee hiring and paying practices.

Many questioned how Barrows could be paid such an extensive amount of money considering his seven-month absence.

“What got people most concerned was a very, very high-profile and very well paid administrator was storing his salary without working,” Bradley said.

Nonetheless, the UW System had already begun an investigation in May to look at

faculty and administrative compensation and competitiveness.

“We want to know how we stack up and what do people get,” Bradley said.

However, after the Barrows incident, the UW System changed the initial objective of their investigation.

“Now the charge includes employment policies and practices, appointments, administrative leave, the whole schmeel,” Bradley said.

The UW System investigation is due in the fall.

The State Situation

Some state legislators, however, have argued the investigation is not enough. Since the Barrows controversy broke, they have aggressively argued that the UW System’s policies concerning employee practices are in need of investigation from the state.

In addition, UW’s decision to allow former judge and attorney Susan Steingass, a UW lecturer, to head the Barrows investigation has not sat well with many legislators concerned with how close she is to the university.

Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, wrote a letter to Assembly Speaker John Gard asking for permission to hold a state audit, saying that it is “imprudent” for the state to rely only on the internal reviews being conducted by the UW System and UW-Madison.

“The taxpayers and tuition-payers of this state are no longer willing to be fleeced in the name of keeping the UW System competitive with other public universities,” Nass said. “Also, it is clear the UW System has attempted to create confusion or a ‘fog’ around the facts of these situations in order to limit the public relations fallout.”

However, Regent President David Walsh said legislators were being irrational.

“If there is a personnel issue and there’s an investigation going then it’s very easy for legislators to pop off in the press,” Walsh said. “We’re glad to discuss it with them, but they’re going to have to call us.”

Walsh said many state legislators had yet to even contact him before sounding off to the media.

“I would remind them that every personnel matter involves an investigation by the employer,” Walsh said “I don’t think that’s a very practical response, if the state wants to get involved with every personnel mater they have the power to do it, but I don’t’ think it’s very practical.”

Nass’ claim that the UW System had fleeced taxpayers and tuition-payers was too quick, according to Walsh.

“Mr. Nass is jumping the gun,” Walsh said. “More importantly any time he wants to sit down and talk with us rather than issue press releases, we’d be happy to. His use of the word ‘fleece’ is inappropriate and to our knowledge we don’t know what he bases it on.”

Walsh said the Board of Regents recent decision to suspend back-up appointments will help all parties find answers.

“Let’s take a deep breathe, let’s get our arms around the issue and we’re going to move forward,” Walsh said.