Tenant Reource Center offers subletting help

The end of the academic year is approaching, and many University of Wisconsin students are still searching to sublet or sublease an apartment for the summer months.

Time constraints may pressure some into making hasty subleases; however, if students take precautions, they can save time, money and ensure a smooth subletting experience.

To help guarantee a smooth sublet, the Tenant Resource Center of Madison provides a checklist of guidelines to follow that will prevent any complications — or lawsuits.

The first advice from the Tenant Resource Center to tenants is to get a landlord’s permission prior to any sort of sublet agreement.

Some landlords require notification of sublet agreements under their original leases and have specific procedures for them.

If a sublessee is allowed to rent an apartment without required notification, the landlord is entitled to evict him or her and hold the original tenant liable for remaining rent payments.

Landlord involvement will help handle necessary paperwork, but the tenant is still accountable for any damages or missed payments that may occur.

It is important to perform thorough background checks and profiles of sublessees before signing any sublet agreement, TRC Campus Outreach Coordinator Jamie Kodner said.

“One of the most important things about subletting is that the tenant know that they’re still ultimately responsible when they sublet,” Kodner said. “It can be a risky situation.”

Kodner added collecting a security deposit no greater than one month’s rent would help hold sublessees accountable for damages. He added having them fill out check-in and check-out forms also helps.

Check-in and check-out forms are equally important to protect sublessees from having to pay for damages they did not inflict.

Madison Property Management Corporate Council Michael Greiber said he encouraged sublessors to collect security deposits and conduct any sublease agreements through a landlord.

“I do recommend [both parties] go through a landlord,” Greiber said. “They should check with a landlord to see if they have any procedures and, of course, have the sublease tenant sign a landlord’s lease.”

Greiber added a security deposit should be collected from sublessees and caution should be taken when selecting them.

To prevent complications with subleases, Greiber said all utilities should be switched over and sublessees should make sure the original tenants’ share of the rent has been paid in full.

Kodner also added it is important to get sublets taken care of as soon as possible. Kodner said sublessees have an advantage due to the disproportionate number of students trying to sublet before moving home.

“Subletting in the summer can be difficult because there are less people living here in the summer,” Kodner said. “People should try to find a place where they don’t have to pay [much] because there are more sublets than sublessees.”