Commission seeks vehicle co-existence

The Madison Long-Range Transportation Commission discussed further developments and recommendations for successful pedestrian, bike and motor vehicle co-existence in a meeting Thursday night.

Rob Kennedy, Transportation Planner for the University of Wisconsin, presented an overview of the draft for the master plan and the future of campus design.

One of the larger issues presented included reconstruction of existing bicycle routes running from University Bay Drive to Babcock Drive as well as an extension of the southwest bicycle path which would head northwest along the rail line to University Avenue, according to Kennedy.

New bicycle lanes and extended sidewalks for pedestrian accessibility would also be added to Walnut Street, Observatory Drive, Highland Avenue, Linden Drive and University Bay Drive.

A proposed pedestrian street crossing would include a new signal light as well as colored pavement along Murray Street onto University Avenue, similar to the crossing at Johnson Street near the Southeast dormitories.

The potential for a new pedestrian and bicycle overpass on University Avenue at University Bay Drive and Farley is now being investigated as well.

Speed tables, several new crossings, and “countdown” walk signals are also included in the long-range plan, according to Kennedy.

“Adding that level of verticality is a good way to calm the cars down,” Kennedy said.

The tightening of lanes would calm traffic and provide another benefit to pedestrians and bikers, according to Kennedy. This would include a larger median next to the bike lane on University Ave.

“I think we are losing focus on why [University Avenue] is there — it is a major thoroughfare from the East and West sides of the city,” Robert Schaefer, an alternate member of the board, said. “Each method of transportation needs the proper respect.”

The proposed changes are no different than those that are going into effect on East Washington, which features a tightened right lane and a bike lane, said Michael Rewey, a Board of Public Works Member.

“We certainly won’t propose something that violates standards of traffic,” Kennedy said.

The conversion of Linden Drive and Henry Mall to a pedestrian, bicycle and transit mall — with the exception of emergency vehicles — was also presented as a topic of roadway improvements.

The committee proposed the closure of Johnson Street between Randall and Campus Drive to allow for greater pedestrian mobility and the construction of a New Union South and the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery.

The question of mopeds, which pose a problem for pedestrians and motor vehicles, was raised in relation to regulation and parking.

No detailed plan exists right now, however, starting next fall moped parking will be reorganized, giving moped drivers parking access without using sidewalks, Kennedy said.

In order to provide maximum ease in accessing multiple parts of the city, new trolley routes are being proposed as well. The possibilities for funding include a raise in parking ticket fees and students’ tuition provisions, Kennedy said.

The question surrounding all of these revisions is one of people’s utilization of public transportation, according to Kennedy.

“How can we make it so advantageous to you that you would rather use public transportation?” Kennedy said.