Regents recognize athletic success

[media-credit name=’AJ MACLEAN/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]REGENTS_AM_416[/media-credit]While Thursday’s University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents meeting was meant to pay honor to undergraduate researchers of the UW System, Friday’s paid honor to UW System non-faculty and athletes.

Regents began their meeting with a farewell and resolution of appreciation to regent Guy Gottschalk, whose seven-year term ends May 1. During that term, Gottschalk served as both a regent and president.

The resolution was presented to Gottschalk by Regent Mark Bradley, who said the Board would miss Gottschalk’s wisdom, vision and caring leadership.

“Guy Gottschalk has had absolute identity with a cause … it’s a part of who he is,” Bradley said at the meeting.

In his farewell address to the regents, Gottschalk said he did not know the true fate of the UW System. Gottschalk called attention to Gov. Jim Doyle’s executive budget proposal, saying he was concerned the continuing trend of declining governmental support would define the governor’s legacy as one in which “a great university turned into a mediocre one.”

“The state has already taken the wrong turn, to the detriment of the university and itself,” Gottschalk said. “We can no longer say that a decline in the quality of the UW System is possible, because it has already happened.”

Despite the difficulties the UW System faces, Gottschalk left the group with a great sense of pride.

“Together during our watch, we did maintain this great institution to the best of our abilities, for the benefit of our state and nation,” Gottschalk said. “Most importantly, for continually transforming our children into … those free men and women of the future, empowered with truth.”

Regents also honored two UW System officials with $5,000 Academic Staff Awards for Excellence. UW-Eau Clair Foundation President Carole Halberg and UW-Oshkosh Director of Affirmative Action and Human Resources Elizabeth Heuer were this year’s recipients for their service to the UW System.

Halberg is responsible for leading “Fulfilling the Promise of Excellence,” a fundraising campaign that burst beyond its initial goal of $35 million.

Heuer has, among other things, established the Alliance for Equity and Diversity.

UW System President Kevin Reilly said at the meeting ASAE was helpful in allowing Regents to hear inspiring stories they might not otherwise come across.

“The UW System’s academic staff members are at the heart of so much of what makes this a truly world-class university system,” Reilly said.

Regents also honored the success of UW athletics thanks to the success of several basketball teams in March.

More precisely, regents were pleased to honor the success of the UW-Stevens Point Pointers men’s basketball Division III national championship win for the second consecutive year.

UW-Stevens Point coach Jack Bennett and his national championship team were both present to accept honors from the board.

Regents also passed several important resolutions including approval of requests from the trustees of the William F. Vilas Trust Estate for scholarships, fellowships, professorship and special programs at the Madison campus and UW-Milwaukee.

Additionally, Regents delegated authority to the UW System President to appoint and set salaries for UW Colleges interim campus deans, authorized increasing the budget for the UW Central Campus Utility Improvements Project and the naming a UW boat house, now called the Porter Boat House.