Regents view undergrad research

[media-credit name=’YANA PASKOVA/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]regents_YP_416[/media-credit]The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents convened Thursday for its monthly two-day meeting session, but, unlike most meetings, they did not meet at the boardroom on the 18th floor of Van Hise Hall.

Rather, the regents gathered alongside students, faculty and legislators at the Capitol Rotunda to celebrate undergraduate student research at the annual “Posters in the Rotunda” program.

According to a release, UW undergraduates present research findings at local, regional and national meetings at similar events, like “Posters on the Hill” in Washington, D.C., the National Conferences on Undergraduate Research and the UW System Symposium for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity. Such events are funded by grants, academic programs and with external funding.

More than 100 undergraduate researchers and faculty from 15 UW institutions presented their research work on posters explaining everything from E. coli at Lake Superior recreational beaches to strategies for efficient coupling of optical fibers.

UW System President Kevin P. Reilly said undergraduate students and faculty mentors were conducting research for some of the most pressing scientific and social concerns.

“I believe that the undergraduate research experience represents what is best about our great public university,” Reilly said. “These students are the future engineers, biologists, social scientists, medical researchers, teachers, doctors, lawyers and civic leaders of Wisconsin.”

Reilly was not alone in lauding the group. Regent President Toby Marcovich also pointed to the important investment student research is for the state of Wisconsin, especially as legislators mull over a new budget proposal.

“It’s important to remember that this kind of research isn’t free,” Marcovich said. “It takes significant time and resources … I encourage you all to take a very close look at the terrific work our students have done.”

While the focus on students’ current activities was strong, UW researcher Jeff Johnson stressed the value their contributions will have in the future for Alzheimer’s and other life-threatening diseases.

“The number of Wisconsin residents [afflicted] with Alzheimer’s is expected to grow by almost 60 percent over the next two decades,” Johnson said. “The kind of research that my colleagues, students and I are doing has the potential to give benefits to thousands of Wisconsin adults and their families.”

In fact, Johnson pointed out many of the undergraduate researchers working under him have contributed and co-authored many recently published papers.

Many students also felt their experience in the UW System has helped aid not only their professional careers but also the general student experience.

UW-Platteville sophomore Amanda Lederer addressed individuals at the program, saying the program has not only opened doors, but helped her gain a better understanding of science through hands-on experience.

“My experiences with undergraduate research have given me the ability to determine if a career in science was the right choice for me,” Lederer said.

Reilly noted the valuable contribution students’ quality work makes to the UW System.

“Know how impressive your work is and how proud we are of you,” Reilly said.