Animal cruelty issue hits close to home

Animal-rights representatives from Alliance for Animals spoke to University of Wisconsin students against the use of primates and other animals in scientific studies Wednesday night.

The lecture included a video presentation depicting scenes of apparent animal cruelty from various labs across the United States, including the UW-affiliated Wisconsin-National Primate Research Center.

The video graphically displayed images of primates undergoing physical and mental trauma, including footage from the National Primate Research Center. Some showed despaired primates trying to break free of their cages and others restrained with scull caps bolted to their heads.

Alliance for Animals representative Rick Bogle spoke to students after the presentation on his view that animal testing, specifically on primates, is both inhumane and expensive. Bogle said the sheer secrecy of animal research is a testament to its inhumane nature.

“The information we have comes from insiders; everything we know is from moles and whistleblowers,” Bogle said. “And every time the information has not been good — behind the scenes, it’s not a very nice place.”

Bogle drew reference to recent controversy over citizens’ removal from a UW oversight committee meeting to review new animal research. Bogle said oversight committees like those at UW usually consist of peers and associates of the researchers seeking approval, leaving only one outside member chosen by the UW chancellor.

“If I am a researcher on the committee, and I deny one of my associates, what’s going to happen next month when I’m not on the committee trying to approve my research?” Bogle said. “It looks to me that this is motivated primarily by money and not helping people.”

Bogle added the National Primate Research Center is a “pretty good” example of what is going on around the rest of the country.

During a post-lecture discussion, Associate Director of the UW Research Animal Resources Center Richard Lane, rose from the back of the hall and defended UW’s research practices. Lane said the primates’ behavior in the video could have been induced from situations during filming and that more graphic images were not representative of UW.

“The one point I wanted to make was that primates, if [filmers] go in and stare at them with a video camera, you will get reactions like that,” Lane said. “You could see in the video they were staring at them.

Lane later said: “When you get into animal research, it’s an emotional and personal issue. Clearly the individuals [who spoke] see no benefit in it. I happen to hold a very different opinion. It is doing positive things.”

Lane added animal research has brought benefits and added the secrecy surrounding research and oversight committees is due to the threat of scientists at other universities using UW research for their own benefit. Lane noted national statistics show the majority of people support animal research and feel it is beneficial.

“Mr. Bolton and I can agree to disagree, and that’s probably the only agreement we will ever have,” Lane said.