Students will vote on Union South referendum

[media-credit name=’AJ MACLEAN/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]UnionSouth_AM_416[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin students will vote on the use of segregated fees to aid in the planned reconstruction of Union South following a referendum planned by the Associated Students of Madison.

ASM member Janell Wise said if students support the referendum, $3 of the student fees will go toward the reconstruction for the next two years and then increase to $10 each semester for the following 12 years.

If the majority of UW students pass the use of segregated fees, the issue will move to the Board of Regents. Wise said it is likely the regents will pass the referendum if students support it so it can be put into action as soon as possible.

Some opposition remains to the proposed reconstruction. College Republican member Jessi Schober said the votes would most likely only represent a small fraction of the student population because few people tend to vote. She added students should instead be able to decide where they want their money to be allocated and donate to that specific organization instead of having to give money to a cause, such as the new Union South facility, which current students will not benefit from.

“Segregated fees are nothing more than a student tax,” Schober said.

The updates to the building will be made in three phases during a 12- to 15-year period, and students will decide how their money is spent throughout the process.

“There will be students involved in each of the phases of planning,” Wise said.

Wise estimated the project would be a $120 million to $140 million expense, but she said it would greatly depend on what students decided they want done to the facility. She said the additional funding would come from private donations and money from the Union operating funds.

Union South, built in 1971, has had only minor renovations completed since it was built, according to Wise. Currently, the building is used as a meeting place for students, but Wise noted the facility is not a place many students utilize.

She said if funding is made available, the building will be made more student-friendly.

Wise added the renovation or destruction of the building would be based on whatever is determined to be most cost-effective.

According to Wise, possible changes would focus on making the building more visibly pleasing to match the surrounding campus facilities. She also said several technological updates would be made and the building would be brought up to accessibility codes and fire codes. An urban terrace with outside seating may also be added for students in addition to a new dining area.

Some see the updates as necessary because both Wisconsin unions are deteriorating and six of the 11 Big Ten universities have recently completed renovations to their student centers or are planning to.

Wise said she does not consider UW to be behind on student-facility renovations but that it is important planning for the updates to get underway. Both the Memorial Union and Union South are also in need of increasing student-organization space.

“The union turns away thousands of requests for meeting space every year,” Wise said.

A number of rooms also need updated air conditioning, heating and audio-visual equipment, she added.

Students can vote for or against the referendum April 5 through April 11 on the ASM website, or by visiting any of the several polling places that will be set up around campus.