Doyle aims to revive tourism

The Wisconsin Tourism Department plans to increase advertising targeting recreational and cultural tourists with $3.8 million in funding for the 2005-2007 fiscal year from Gov. Jim Doyle’s proposed budget.

The 2005 Wisconsin Governor’s Conference on Tourism took place last week, where people from across the state met to discuss topics and issues facing Wisconsin’s tourism industry this year, such as the new state marketing plan.

The Tourism Department aired a television commercial in Spanish, hired a public relations agent to chat live on a Spanish-speaking radio station promoting Wisconsin and advertised on the Internet last year. The department plans to translate more webpages highlighting Wisconsin travel into foreign languages this year and has included a multicultural calendar on its website to attract Hispanic, black and Asian tourists.

The Tourism Department teamed up with a joint-effort marketing grant (JEM), allowing the branch to further enhance advertising and marketing strategies. The partnership with JEM helps the department expand marketing in the United States and abroad.

Though the 2005 marketing campaign is not dramatically different from previous years, if the department is granted the 21 percent increase in their budget, the state plans on advertising more.

Donors for the increase were announced at the conference, with some of the proposed funding coming from Ho-Chunk Nation, Oneida Nation and the Potawatomi Bingo Casino.

According to the Tourism Department, the majority of tourist spending comes primarily from Wisconsinites, followed by Chicago and Minneapolis residents.

“We want to send the message that Wisconsin is open, regardless of culture, color or ethnicity,” Tourism Department communications director Jerry Huffman said. “We’re trying to communicate the message that we have so many diverse options of things to do, be it whatever, we want you to try Wisconsin.”

There is a high retention rate for Wisconsin tourists; meaning once tourists come here they are most likely to come back, Huffman said.

The first hearing on Doyle’s budget proposal was Wednesday, but the Joint Finance Committee has until the end of June to make a final decision. If passed, the Tourism Department will use 60 percent of the $3.8 million on commercials and advertising. The remaining 40 percent would enhance marketing strategies to reach the United Kingdom and the rest of Europe.

“I am for tourism in Wisconsin, but [I] raised questions about how to find out if marketing is effective,” State Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said.

According to Black, there is not enough analysis about what type of marketing works best. While television is most effective, other approaches need to be considered as well, he added.

“Advertising on the web is one place we should spend more money as more travel arrangements are being made on the Internet,” Black added.

Consumer spending increased by less than 1 percent in 2004, making ’04 the 11th year in a row of increased Wisconsin travel spending, despite unseasonably cool weather. The state collects approximately 36 percent of tourist spending in summer, followed by 23 percent in fall, 22 percent in spring and 19 percent in winter.

Tourists spent a total of $11.8 billion in shops, hotels, attractions and restaurants in the state of Wisconsin last year.