Doyle meets with Mexican officials to discuss state exports

[media-credit name=’Jose Luis Magana/Associated Press’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Doyle_416[/media-credit]Gov. Jim Doyle met with top environmental officials in Mexico City Monday to discuss water standards and to survey opportunities for Wisconsin businesses.

Monday’s meetings marked the first day of the governor’s six day Trade Commission in Mexico. The trade delegation is intended to strengthen existing partners and explore new opportunities to boost Wisconsin’s exports, according to Doyle.

“We want to make sure that we are finding good markets for Wisconsin products,” Doyle said in a teleconference from Mexico. “Last year, there was over $1 billion [in exports] to Mexico and I want to make sure that number keeps growing.”

According to Department of Commerce spokesperson Tony Hozeny, the most recent data from 2004 shows Wisconsin exports grew by more than 35 percent.

Mexico is now the second largest export market for Wisconsin next to Canada.

Hozeny said there are many reasons for the governor to lead a trade mission abroad, including the location of the country and the growth of the Mexican economy.

“Mexico needs a lot of our products, it has the same time zones [as Wisconsin] and is an easier place [for Wisconsin businesses] to get started in exporting than in the Far East,” Hozeny said.

Various business leaders from the state who intend to set up a number of meetings with potential trading partners joined Doyle in his trade mission.

The governor also met with Mexican President Vicente Fox and other top officials Monday night to discuss several issues concerning both Mexico and Wisconsin. Before the meeting, Doyle said the removal of trade restrictions on certain exports, environmental standard issues and establishing a “good exchange both culturally and educationally” would be topics of their discussion.

The business leaders traveling with Doyle get a “one-on-one” meeting with Mexican companies in need of their services, which is advantageous to Wisconsin businesses because they can get a “firsthand look” at the market, according to Hozeny.

“[This offers] a chance … to get a lot of things done in a short period of time,” Hozeny said. “Export [relationships] are something you have to nurture … and commit yourself to long term.”

According to Doyle, an “elaborate” agreement with the University of Guadalajara and the University of Wisconsin will allow cultural and educational benefits for both university systems. Doyle plans on signing the agreement when he visits Guadalajara Wednesday and Thursday.

“[The agreement] is designed to allow much freer exchange of research and cultural student exchanges,” Doyle said. “[This is] a way we can make it easier for students from Wisconsin to come and study in Mexico and also make it easier for us to exchange research.”

Doyle added that the exchange will not just benefit one university as it has in the past — the UW System can benefit from the Guadalajara University System.

The governor’s agenda for the week also includes talks with Mexican Secretary of the Economy and visits to several businesses and facilities in both Mexico City and Guadalajara.