Student finds dead man in Van Vleck

University of Wisconsin police responded to the discovery of an unconscious male in Van Vleck Hall Friday morning.

A UW student found the 66-year-old man in the men’s restroom on floor B2 in the math department building and contacted UW police at approximately 9:48 a.m., according to a police report. The man’s identity is being withheld so the family can be notified by the UWPD.

The officers responding to the alert pronounced the man a “pulseless non-breather,” and Madison paramedics transported the man to the hospital, according to the police report. He was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at a local hospital.

Officer Mark Silbernagel of the UW Police Department said foul play is currently not suspected; however, the cause of death is still being investigated.

“We take these investigations very seriously,” Silbernagel said. “[The] investigation is ongoing.”

UW freshman Matt Kaplan said he arrived at his French 101 class in Van Vleck Friday shortly after the time police arrived. According to Kaplan, paramedics put the man on a stretcher and gave him CPR while taking him to the ambulance.

Kaplan added that he did not get a good look at the man as he was wheeled away.

“It was kind of freaky,” Kaplan said.

He said other officers were questioning the two students who discovered the body — who were also in Kaplan’s French class.

Kaplan said after he and the students in his class took a short quiz their teacher dismissed them due to the disturbing discovery of the man.

Few deaths have been reported on the Madison campus in recent years. One of the most recent to have occurred on the UW campus involved sophomore Mark Mueller who was walking home from a New Year’s Eve night out. He slipped and suffered massive head trauma, dying outside of Sellery Hall early morning of New Years Day 2003.

Mueller only carried a fake identification with him, which led to police reporting to the wrong family the death of their son. The family, however, later heard from their son, and the correct family was contacted.