Madison chooses Internet provider

[media-credit name=’AJ MACLEAN/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Wireless_AM_416[/media-credit]Negotiations have begun between the city of Madison and AOL-SkyCable to provide wireless Internet for the downtown area and the Dane County Regional Airport for as early as spring.

Other companies, including SBC Communications, were outbid by AOL-SkyCable although the contract has not been finalized, according to George Twigg, spokesperson for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz.

Madison’s SkyCable TV is a wireless cable television company serving all of Dane County.

“They are the top-ranked vendor so now they will have the opportunity to negotiate for the contract,” Twigg said. “If for some reason we can’t come to terms with them, then we would look for another vendor.”

According to Twigg, it remains hard to say how long the negotiations may take, but the goal is to have the system up and running by late spring or early summer.

The wireless Internet proposal, called “Wireless Wisconsin,” calls for access in a one-and-a-half mile radius surrounding the Capitol. The service would also be available at the Dane County Regional Airport, according to a release.

Through the wireless Internet system, residents of Madison and visitors would be able to access a number of local websites for free. Users could purchase full Internet access on a daily, monthly or long-term basis. Taxpayers will not fund the construction and operation of the service, the release said.

Twigg said “Wireless Wisconsin” will also help expand the wireless capabilities of the city. Currently, the Madison Public Library on West Mifflin Street and a range of coffee shops in the State Street area including Dancing Grounds Coffee Lounge on West Gorham Street offer free wireless Internet access.

“Madison would be one of the leading-edge cities in the entire nation in terms of the scope of the service,” Twigg said.

University of Wisconsin senior Lucy Chao said although there are some businesses on State Street offering free wireless Internet, it will be nice to have the option to have the Capitol-area service.

“Even though full Internet access is not free, it could be a good investment for students who like to study at different places on State Street,” Chao said. “It will benefit businesses as well.”