UW picks Arts Institute director

The University of Wisconsin announced a new director for the Arts Institute Monday. Susan Cook, professor of music and director of graduate studies in the School of Music will replace retiring communication arts professor Tino Balio.

Gary Sandefur, dean of the College of Letters and Science, said Cook is an excellent candidate for the position because of her strong leadership and involvement in the arts community. He added that Cook is highly respected for her position in the graduate program.

“Susan is a really strong and influential voice for the arts on campus and in the community,” Sandefur said. “She’ll do an excellent job.”

Created in 1998, the Arts Institute funds and supports projects with university and community-wide impact, including artist residencies, awards and fellowships, public programs and arts marketing and outreach.

“The Arts Institute provides a forum for faculty, staff and students to come together and sponsor activities on campus,” Sandefur said.

According to its website, the institute strives to represent the voices of UW students, faculty and staff in planning and administration, while funding Interdisciplinary Arts Residencies, presenting awards and fellowships and presenting the Wisconsin Film Festival.

In the future, the Arts Institute will provide a forum for people to give input and suggestions regarding the development of the east campus, according to Sandefur.

“My vision for the [institute] is to continue a vigorous advocacy for the arts on this foundation of residencies and through expanded programs,” Cook said in a release. “We must continue to attract the most interesting artists to campus, as well as to continue to draw attention to the wealth of campus-based arts activities currently undertaken by faculty and students.”

The Arts Institute is a sponsored collaboration of the College of Letters and Science, the School of Human Ecology and the School of Education.

Sandefur said the Education Department provides dance and art to the institute, the Human Ecology department offers their textile design program and the Letters and Science school provides music, film, theater and drama.