Doyle boosts k-12 funds

This is the first in a series exploring aspects of Gov. Doyle’s budget proposal.

Education in Wisconsin is Gov. Jim Doyle’s priority, and K-12 schools will see changes if the governor’s new biennial budget is approved by state lawmakers.

“How we get our kids prepared for life will have a profound effect on the long-term strength of Wisconsin,” Doyle said in his budget address Tuesday evening.

Doyle has proposed restoring two-thirds funding for Wisconsin school districts, which had been cut in the last biennial budget. A total of $850 million is included for K-12 public education in the governor’s proposal.

The Wisconsin Alliance for Excellent Schools cheered Doyle’s proposal to restore two-thirds funding of public schools. Director of WAES Karen Royster said this is a positive step for Wisconsin schools at a critical time.

“Going back to two-thirds [funding] is really critical for schools,” Royster said. “[Public schools] are just in such dire financial straits … the cutback last time was really difficult.”

Any additional funds to help children reach educational achievement is a good thing, according to Royster.

State Superintendent Elizabeth Burmaster said the governor’s budget reflects the values of Wisconsin’s citizens and is an investment in students and their futures, according to a press release.

Burmaster reacted favorably to Doyle’s proposal to expand the Student Achievement Guarantee in Education program. SAGE is a program aimed to reduce class size in local schools. Districts currently receive $2,000 for each low-income student enrolled in SAGE, and this funding would increase to $2,500 by 2007 under Doyle’s budget proposal. This represents an increase in funding by $44.1 million, according to the release.

“When you look at what’s needed for a good education for children, small class sizes are conducive,” Royster said.

Doyle has also proposed the repeal of a compensation formula known as the QEO, which has helped to control school property-tax levies for over a decade. According to Doyle, the QEO is “outdated” and “inflexible” and must be repealed to guarantee high quality teachers for Wisconsin children.

Teachers in Wisconsin are receiving pay at a lower level than teachers nationally due to QEO, which is a problem, Royster said.

“We know teacher quality is one of the most significant factors in achievement,” Royster said. “I think whatever we can do to bring highly qualified teachers to our schools is a good thing.”

Royster attributed the lack of decent benefits and pay for teachers to the state budget deficit, which is currently $1.6 billion.

Included in Doyle’s budget proposal is $15 million for special education, with more funds available to school districts having students with exceptional costs.

“I think there’s one thing every Republican and Democrat can agree [on]: … it is time the federal government fulfilled its promise to fund its 40 percent share of special-education costs,” Doyle said.

But Wisconsin’s kids should not be allowed to fail just because Washington is failing them, Doyle said.

University of Wisconsin assistant professor of special education Kimber Malmgren said districts have been struggling with less money, not only in Wisconsin but all over the nation.

“At the federal level, special education has been bracing itself against a lot of cuts in funding,” Malmgren said. “It’s a positive thing to see funding increases [in the state].”

Doyle has also proposed grants for 4-year-old kindergarten as well as budget reforms for school transportation, with a $16 million increase for school districts required to transport students the farthest distances.

Despite Doyle’s proposals to elevate funds for education in Wisconsin, Republicans are challenging the governor’s calls to increase spending in the midst of a large budget deficit. The Joint Committee for Finance, which is controlled by Republicans, will review Doyle’s budget next.